Certified Plasterer Scheme - Q&A

@BritishGypsum is it correct only one person will be selected to quote on any given lead ? And how will this lead be distributed ?

I ask because nearly all clients will want at least 2 quotes before deciding who to go with

i would like to ask BG , to be a plasterer you do need to be able to carry out different disciplines most of which do not involve BG. ie floor screeding, external wall insulation, rendering, lime work,pargetting etc. or is this just another skimmers paradise?
i served a 5 year apprenticeship the only qualification that i have ever had. no csc card, i have never been unemployed, seen upteen recesions, so why do i need to join your list?

The scheme is only offered to plastering professionals.

You must be able to satisfy the following criteria to ensure we only get the best plasterers on the scheme:

· Have at least three years’ experience working in the retro-fit residential arena

· Have run your own plastering business for at least one year

· At least 50% of your day-to-day work is in domestic properties

· Provide 3 homeowner customer references to demonstrate a high level of customer service

· Be prepared to pass an on-site assessment of your work and service, carried out by the British Gypsum team
  • Have your own public liability insurance

Heswall tennis club are putting on a George Michael tribute night. Do you think I should go or would you suggest I hold out for the real thing?

@BritishGypsum
From what I read on here the expectations are high to get on board. Is that a try to bring the standard on domestic up to site work? And what you will do if you find out sme of the members are not leaving up to BG standards job? I think most of the domestic served plasterers have never put a foot on site and have no idea what the standards now days are, or been kicked out of sites . How much control you will have over the standards and products used on domestic?

Thanks

Hi there,

It's not necessarily about bringing the standards up, more to set a benchmark of standard both in the industry and for consumers, and making sure these plasterers are recognised as of high standard. We do have a screening process in place and will be following up with all members to ensure standards are up-to-date. There will also be a re-screening every three years

A 2 year guarantee is very short, does this mean we will get repeat jobs every 2 years when the unifinish has fallen off

1 what will happen if you receive a complaint from a customer

2 as I can't be bothered looking how much is this membership costing

3 will there be any increases in this cost on going, IE will you start charging for jobs similar to all the other useless sites around ( rated ppl etc)

4 will there be any other benefits. For example when new products are released will members get preferential access to these for testing and rating etc

5 any chance of a bag of magnetic free of charge for my nieces bedroom, she says she will love you forever if she can have a magnetic wall

Thanks for reading .[/QUOTE]

Answers below:

We will step in when there is a complaint, get to the root cause and find a solution that suits all parties. The standard membership fee is £250 and there are no other charges.

1 what will happen if you receive a complaint from a customer

2 as I can't be bothered looking how much is this membership costing

3 will there be any increases in this cost on going, IE will you start charging for jobs similar to all the other useless sites around ( rated ppl etc)

4 will there be any other benefits. For example when new products are released will members get preferential access to these for testing and rating etc

5 any chance of a bag of magnetic free of charge for my nieces bedroom, she says she will love you forever if she can have a magnetic wall

Thanks for reading .[/QUOTE]

In response to other benefits, members will absolutely get preferential access to new products - that's one of the main benefits of the scheme. There are plans to launch new products to give plasterers access to higher value projects in the long term

Who from BG are coming out to assess the blokes to see if they're competent ? and who has assessed them to see if they're competent of assessing ? And which no mark has set the benchmark ?

What if someone contacts them for some traditional sand and cement work, or some thin coat or a screed ? Will they put them off as its not a bag of skim or will they put them in touch with one of their certified blokes, who may never have touched an outside job in his life ?

I suspect when they come on for there Q&A as always they will give a political style answer to the questions that make them look good and ignore everything else.

Looking forward, nobody from British Gypum will be assessing, it's an independent scheme for which assessors are trained beforehand. It's also worth noting the guarentee only covers British Gypsum bagged products.

@BritishGypsum is a 30 minute assessment really enough to find out the quality of someone's work ?

The assessment could be short or long depending on what they see - it's taken on a case-by-case basis, not limited to 30 mins and could even include further visits or interviews with customers.

@BritishGypsum is it correct only one person will be selected to quote on any given lead ? And how will this lead be distributed ?

I ask because nearly all clients will want at least 2 quotes before deciding who to go with

Customers often request multiple quotes because they don't have confidence in any one plasterer, so this scheme aims to give them that reassurance that they will get a good quality job, while also giving the plasterer the jobs they will want. Leads are distributed by location, availability and suitability.

Customers often request multiple quotes because they don't have confidence in any one plasterer, so this scheme aims to give them that reassurance that they will get a good quality job, while also giving the plasterer the jobs they will want. Leads are distributed by location, availability and suitability.

No it's to compare costs nothing to do with confidence In a plasterer

@BritishGypsum can you explain how the 2 year guarantee works and the costs involved with that please ?
The 2 year guarantee works as part of the plasterer joining the scheme - we expect them to offer a workmanship guarantee. There is no additional cost to the 2 year guarantee, but we will need you to fill in an activation form to register the job

That was dead funny to read....i dont think he really wanted to talk to @gps:)

That was dead funny to read....i dont think he really wanted to talk to @gps:)

I actually thought he/she was ignoring me lol, I don't think anyone is any wiser though but good luck to those who join, but I just can't see it taking off.