Ceilings (Artex Broken Leather)

Members online

LarryTheDecorator

All

I have been given the unfortunate task of potentially plastering a few artex ceilings (about 4m x 4m) for a relative. House is one of these paper built taylor wimpy/barratt types done in the 90's (doesn't even have coving on). The artex looks like it's got some kind of satin paint on

I'm going to remove a ceiling rose and pop in bug eyes to make it look bigger (walls only 2.2m high). Am I better off plastering on top, or ripping the lot down (or using one of these ready made solutions that 'paints' on top for a smooth finish)?

Last time I did a small hallway ceiling Lurpak was very helpful in instructing me what to do (my own house). My back went halfway through, and I ended up using the magic powers of easifill and a drywall sander.

All

I have been given the unfortunate task of potentially plastering a few artex ceilings (about 4m x 4m) for a relative. House is one of these paper built taylor wimpy/barratt types done in the 90's (doesn't even have coving on). The artex looks like it's got some kind of satin paint on

I'm going to remove a ceiling rose and pop in bug eyes to make it look bigger (walls only 2.2m high). Am I better off plastering on top, or ripping the lot down (or using one of these ready made solutions that 'paints' on top for a smooth finish)?

Last time I did a small hallway ceiling Lurpak was very helpful in instructing me what to do (my own house). My back went halfway through, and I ended up using the magic powers of easifill and a drywall sander.
Scrape it pva it, and use some extra time if you’re not confident of tackling it. Should give you abit more time for tea and biscuits. Did you get a speedskim? Lost track

All

Lurpak is still on here hes pretending to be new his user name is @Kinkyboy

He's happy to do whatever. Why would I overboard and not replace (as I don't understand). I feel a pack of extratime is going to be ordered when/if this happens

Depends on your relative the fact he doesn't have coving up is a good thing personally I would instruct him to have all the artex ceilings overboarded

Thankyou, I have a speedskin 600 - plastic and metal. Absolute godsend when I was doing walls. I have a 12" MT and a 14" refina finishing trowel

The water is super soft where I should be doing it, so it'll be interesting how the plaster works. My current house the water is very hard (new kettle has limescale after a few days of being used) and always has issues with flash setting

Scrape it pva it, and use some extra time if you’re not confident of tackling it. Should give you abit more time for tea and biscuits. Did you get a speedskim? Lost track

Last edited:
He's happy to do whatever. Why would I overboard and not replace (as I don't understand). I feel a pack of extratime is going to be ordered when/if this happens
With overboard of the ceilings your pretty much guaranteed to have no call backs or fails, in rare instances plaster has failed to bond to the artex even with a grit, that's why most plasterers will advise on boarding first, albeit ive plastered over tons of artex ceilings and only had 1 fail plasterboard will be a much easier surface for you to plaster over aswell

Ah ok gotcha, I did have plaster fall down once - it went off too quick (literally from the bucket to the ceiling). In terms of the board, will the 9mm be ok? In terms of the multi, has it calmed down yet, or shall I get a few bags of finish instead?

With overboard of the ceilings your pretty much guaranteed to have no call backs or fails, in rare instances plaster has failed to bond to the artex even with a grit, that's why most plasterers will advise on boarding first, albeit ive plastered over tons of artex ceilings and only had 1 fail plasterboard will be a much easier surface for you to plaster over aswell

Ah ok gotcha, I did have plaster fall down once - it went off too quick (literally from the bucket to the ceiling). In terms of the board, will the 9mm be ok? In terms of the multi, has it calmed down yet, or shall I get a few bags of finish instead?
No the 12.5mm
The 12.5mm is better,I would deffo get extratime aswell then even if your going over plasterboard

If the ceilings 90s you’ll probably be fine to skim over. Bit of bonding in the first coat, smooth. Normal finish second coat, like skimming over butter. Pva or grit, either.

nice to hear from you Larry!

I just scrape. Beeline sealer 3-1 with two coats and let that dry. Plastering Pva and hit it with multi....Bet I done well over 100 with no problems.....

Your overdue
a problem one will be along soon
Lol
Delamination... Never been caught. Pulled tapes easy and missed one that fell out after skim. Have had troubles with lime wash under polytex of poor skim from someone else's effort that's come away. Guess I have been caught in the past, and as recent as last year on stair wall where emulsion came away as I was spreading (lost a day) but not often. I always dig and see what I'm dealing with to try and avoid problems