Ceiling Tips

ChrispyUK

Hi all, been plastering couple of years now...work in the trade but not as a plasterer. Mainly do house refurbs etc, bathrooms, kitchens etc but trying to up the ante a bit when it comes to plastering so I've got a bit of 'headroom' and more confidence in what I can do.
Anyway, been doing up my sisters house in between the chaos as she's had a rough ride last couple of years and needed a boost.
Given me plenty of plastering practice as every room has been s**t once the wall paper has come off.
Anyway, I've just done the bedroom ceilings which have been a bit of a challenge. They're only about 12m but the biggest I've had to tackle so far but to you guys I know that's what you'd class as small and a piece of cake!
I can get it on pretty quick, flatten ok, but tonight When troweling up the 2nd coat, I knew Id lost it and ended up 3rd coating to save it. Came out fine in the end, but just a bit peed off with myself.
Just wondered if you had any tips, or is it just more practice?

Hi all, been plastering couple of years now...work in the trade but not as a plasterer. Mainly do house refurbs etc, bathrooms, kitchens etc but trying to up the ante a bit when it comes to plastering so I've got a bit of 'headroom' and more confidence in what I can do.
Anyway, been doing up my sisters house in between the chaos as she's had a rough ride last couple of years and needed a boost.
Given me plenty of plastering practice as every room has been s**t once the wall paper has come off.
Anyway, I've just done the bedroom ceilings which have been a bit of a challenge. They're only about 12m but the biggest I've had to tackle so far but to you guys I know that's what you'd class as small and a piece of cake!
I can get it on pretty quick, flatten ok, but tonight When troweling up the 2nd coat, I knew Id lost it and ended up 3rd coating to save it. Came out fine in the end, but just a bit peed off with myself.
Just wondered if you had any tips, or is it just more practice?
How did you know you'd lost it?

Good point. Just too many ridges I suppose. Not massive ones but going off fast and struggling to get flat after troweling up 3/4 of ceiling. I was trying not to mess with it too quickly after laying on 2nd coat, but perhaps got timing wrong. Btw, going on to PB, as ceiling needed over boarding.

Good point. Just too many ridges I suppose. Not massive ones but going off fast and struggling to get flat after troweling up 3/4 of ceiling. I was trying not to mess with it too quickly after laying on 2nd coat, but perhaps got timing wrong. Btw, going on to PB, as ceiling needed over boarding.
All had it mate. If the plasterboard is decent and flat, get used to flicking the same amount of gear from your hawk to trowel and then covering to same area on the ceiling/wall when you spread the gear - don't overload the trowel or it'll spill at the heal & toe of the growl and leave ridges to deal with. When laying on just ramp up your speed with more careful technique.

All had it mate. If the plasterboard is decent and flat, get used to flicking the same amount of gear from your hawk to trowel and then covering to same area on the ceiling/wall when you spread the gear - don't overload the trowel or it'll spill at the heal & toe of the growl and leave ridges to deal with. When laying on just ramp up your speed with more careful technique.
Heal and toe of the trowel...growl are crap for spreading!

Ta for that. Yeah...think you're on to something there, that makes sense now. Prob worrying about getting it on quickly instead of steadily

Ta for that. Yeah...think you're on to something there, that makes sense now. Prob worrying about getting it on quickly instead of steadily
12m2 lid is still quite a big area - especially if your knocking up/cleaning your self. Nothing wrong with doing half on one set then the other set later - don't join up the two areas, leave a gap of 10mm then fill with Easyfill...this gives you skill practice with patching.

12m2 lid is still quite a big area - especially if your knocking up/cleaning your self. Nothing wrong with doing half on one set then the other set later - don't join up the two areas, leave a gap of 10mm then fill with Easyfill...this gives you skill practice with patching.

Cheers lastlaff, most of the ceilings I've done till now are just small bathrooms so I needed to push myself...but don't often have a proper spread about to learn from. Have really enjoyed learning a bit of plastering, probably the one thing in this game that gives me most satisfaction, but always trying to get better etc. I know my limits, and if there's loads to do, not often worth my time to do it myself, but giving it a go . Appreciate the help :)

yes that plaster splattered half stooped strange image staring back must of been truly disturbing, hope your on the mend :)

You sure you wernt looking through the window, Your description is spot on?
Shower, couple of beers and all is good again...until tomorrow, when I'm doing the walls. Hope me sis said she was going to get new carpet! :)

Here's my advice...

1) Use fresh skim per each coat. 1 batch for 1st coat, fresh batch for 2nd / laying in.

2) Once first coat is applied, run a brush across your angle lines taking excessive fat out. This will help you so much when applying the 2nd coat as you shouldn't get dragging.

3) Do your first trowel up when it is wet to touch still, though be very careful not to take gear off.

Skimming is a step system and each part to it leads to the next part. The better each part is done from 1st coat until final trowel, the better the job.

Also at this time of year you have no reason to rush, you have more time than you think.

Hope this helps.

Sort of glad someone said that. Doing a 22m2 ceiling overskimming previously unpainted skim. With pvaing and knocking up alone I actually was flat out. No idea how so ppl do mega meterage

Here's my advice...

1) Use fresh skim per each coat. 1 batch for 1st coat, fresh batch for 2nd / laying in.

2) Once first coat is applied, run a brush across your angle lines taking excessive fat out. This will help you so much when applying the 2nd coat as you shouldn't get dragging.

3) Do your first trowel up when it is wet to touch still, though be very careful not to take gear off.

Skimming is a step system and each part to it leads to the next part. The better each part is done from 1st coat until final trowel, the better the job.

Also at this time of year you have no reason to rush, you have more time than you think.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that. Can you go into a bit more detail with step 2 mate...if you have a mo? :)

Cheers for that. Can you go into a bit more detail with step 2 mate...if you have a mo? :)
Just run a brush along where ceiling and walls meet to take excess plaster away or you can cut it with the corner of your trowel that works just as well especially if you have loads of excess, it's to stop picking up the gone off gear on the edge of your trowel when you 2nd coat it which would cause dragging

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just run a brush along where ceiling and walls meet to zotake excess plaster away or you can cut it with the corner of your trowel that works just as well especially if you have loads of excess, it's to stop picking up the gone off gear on the edge of your trowel when you 2nd coat it which would cause dragging

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks zolco...thought that's what he meant. Yep, I do that now as I learnt the hard way a couple of times.

Zolco summed it up, hope the advice has helped :)

Yes mate, thank you. It all helps build up the confidence. Not the best of pics, but here's a couple

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    954.2 KB · Views: 599
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    747.2 KB · Views: 591
Cheers macca and welcome to the forum. I think I can say that...even though I'm pretty new too! :D
Good guys on here, have helped me a lot :)
Cheers macca and welcome to the forum. I think I can say that...even though I'm pretty new too! :D
Good guys on here, have helped me a lot :)

Yep only been doing it a few years
but i can get it to a decent level and i agree lots of good advice.

Happy New year