Ceiling crack one week after new skim

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a proper Lazarus thread

:RpS_laugh:I missed it first time round but it's one of those threads to be wary of.
Joe Public comes on for advice, get's an answer that he wants to use to slaughter the poor plasterer and then doesn't have the RESPECT or DECENCY to elaborate any further. There's a few words for people like him but as Joe Public can see the thread I'll keep them to myself. It's a bit like a thread you replied to recently and once the ignorant person got his answer he couldn't even be arsed to say thanks :RpS_thumbdn:

:RpS_laugh:I missed it first time round but it's one of those threads to be wary of.
Joe Public comes on for advice, get's an answer that he wants to use to slaughter the poor plasterer and then doesn't have the RESPECT or DECENCY to elaborate any further. There's a few words for people like him but as Joe Public can see the thread I'll keep them to myself. It's a bit like a thread you replied to recently and once the ignorant person got his answer he couldn't even be arsed to say thanks :RpS_thumbdn:
If we sought gratitude we'd be like the(painter) you know the one !

my doctor gave me 4 weeks to live wish he,d given me 3 weeks then I would get away without paying next months rent in advance, that,s it sleepy byes night all.

not slaggin anyone just saying he might have missed with the scrim tape so redo it just in case its wat gives u a good name good as your last job and wat has a plumber comment got to do with it

No plasterer forgets to scrim up... hence why I thought you mat be a plumber..ie. talking shite..

and to top it all off your modest too haha

just honest mate..lol... cant believe some here though.. fuk me, wouldnt want to rely on some... they know nothing of the story, yet are straight in slagging the spread.. good job it never happens to them hey...

wat a nob lol 1st person in the uk is that wat they told u as paid on your visawat does of shore mean u plastererd boats ? or oil rigs

George, you will have to write in English mate.. its difficult to understand re***d... offshore.. no, theres no plasterboards, there is however tiles and fire protection and scaffold... yep, was the first person, it was about 20-25 years ago.. if your that bothered call BG and I am sure they will send the newspaper pictures etc for you to drool over...

not smug mate.. just fact...

Still coming across as smug mate....

Mate my post wasn't to try and rile you as you actually come across as a decent guy, however just lately you keep feeling the need to tell people how well your qualified !!

No one cares mate, no one cares about tiling or scaffolding quals cos were plasters.

All sounds a bit like a man with a van, wanting a pissing competition.

Still coming across as smug mate....

Mate my post wasn't to try and rile you as you actually come across as a decent guy, however just lately you keep feeling the need to tell people how well your qualified !!

No one cares mate, no one cares about tiling or scaffolding quals cos were plasters.

All sounds a bit like a man with a van, wanting a pissing competition.

Its what happens when you become a moderator on here mate it's like Flynnymarra all over again :RpS_lol:

*(Tiling section moderation only) :rolleyes)

I know what you mean Hicky and no probs mate, its just a few people are mentioning the tiling/scaffolding, I only retaliate mate... I do take the piss aswell pal..

On a derious note about cracks, a kitchen I reskimmed back in 1992 for a mate at his house has one tiny wee hair line crack on a narrow section of wall about 3 foot wide which has only just developed about 5 months ago tapped round the crack not blown or anything so just made crack a wee bit wider and filled and sanded it so it,s lasted all them years and all the rest is good as the day I skiimmed it all them years ago, including the ceiling can,t account for movement or whatever in an old 1930s house, or even a newer property so many variables methinks.
Smimmed an artex ceiling today but my shoulder started playing up real bad I did however just manage to finish it, age catching up with me, at this rate I,ll have to consider sticking to wendy houses :RpS_biggrin:

not slaggin anyone just saying he might have missed with the scrim tape so redo it just in case its wat gives u a good name good as your last job and wat has a plumber comment got to do with it

George mate, who misses scrim off? It's only the very basic bodgers and I suggest if they don't have the knowledge to put scrim on, they probably wouldn't have the skill to lay plaster on a ceiling and if they did get it on, you'd see a lot more issues up there than a hairline crack and the customer would be screaming about the finish, the cats faces, the spider holes left in the corners, the sxxt on the walls and floor and all those types of issue. (starting to think crack is being used).

I did the best I could do on the above job and something caused 12ft of fibre tape to snap apart right along its length. My example is a 100yr old terrace so it's had a V long time to settle, etc, no-one went in the loft and the boards were fixed across the joists. It had the mist coat and an hour or two later the thing snapped in one go with a sharp 'thwack' sound.

Having given it a lot of thought, I think it was the scrim around the ceiling perimiter that has helped this. Now bear with me. The whole room was re-skimmed with scrim in all the appropriate places. So if there has been thermal movment in the ceiling, with the outer perimiter of the ceiling boards being fixed so to speak, if the ceiling needs to move, it will break the weakest joint in the boards and that must have been across the middle.

George mate, who misses scrim off? It's only the very basic bodgers and I suggest if they don't have the knowledge to put scrim on, they probably wouldn't have the skill to lay plaster on a ceiling and if they did get it on, you'd see a lot more issues up there than a hairline crack and the customer would be screaming about the finish, the cats faces, the spider holes left in the corners, the sxxt on the walls and floor and all those types of issue. (starting to think crack is being used).

I did the best I could do on the above job and something caused 12ft of fibre tape to snap apart right along its length. My example is a 100yr old terrace so it's had a V long time to settle, etc, no-one went in the loft and the boards were fixed across the joists. It had the mist coat and an hour or two later the thing snapped in one go with a sharp 'thwack' sound.

Having given it a lot of thought, I think it was the scrim around the ceiling perimiter that has helped this. Now bear with me. The whole room was re-skimmed with scrim in all the appropriate places. So if there has been thermal movment in the ceiling, with the outer perimiter of the ceiling boards being fixed so to speak, if the ceiling needs to move, it will break the weakest joint in the boards and that must have been across the middle.

well i didnt no the spread had done it normally the labs do it and somtimes they miss did u tack it did u make sure u staggard the boards listin be as mad as u want all im saying somthimes it happins ohh i feel a tellin off for my spellin cumin loll

well i didnt no the spread had done it normally the labs do it and somtimes they miss did u tack it did u make sure u staggard the boards listin be as mad as u want all im saying somthimes it happins ohh i feel a tellin off for my spellin cumin loll
Labourer misses it , and so does the plasterer,,, shut up you bell

You berra believe it you liilterate asre!!

I turned up at a job once and had forgot to get the skim! :RpS_unsure:

Before I could drive, I was doing a job for someone so the punter had to come and pick me up. He came to ours, we packed the car and got to his and found I'd forgot me tools ... took everything else though. The punter had to go back to ours for them while I did bits of prep. He came back from the second 40 minute round trip with the most insincere smile a man could wear. :)

I can now drive ...

Status
Not open for further replies.