Ceiling crack one week after new skim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience I tend to find that if the boards are butted up tight that can cause cracking,I always leave a 3mm min gap in my boarding,scrim is not gonna stop it cracking its there to stop the plaster falling out if it does crack.cos it's cracked in a straight line doesn't mean he hasn't staggered the joints it maybe the length of the board and not the width,and how you gonna see scrim in a hairline crack, at least give him a chance to rake out and fill before he re does it ,hope you lot are never the jury if I'm in the dock :huh:

nonsense? No, assumptions yes, that's what we deal with in posts like this, take what info you can. Yeh your right we can't physically see it so have to go with the info provided.your assumption is the plasterer has been unlucky, heating been put on, there's movement above. The op hasn't gave info on either!! My assumption is the plasterer has cunted it, based on the op sayin he can't see scrim in the crack and he says the ceiling wasn't cracked before it was overboarded? So where did the movement from above come from??? Mabye the customer ain't to fussy how it's fixed and I dont know how much he paid? As for the plasterer it's his rep on the line!! Yeh we've all had cracks to deal but I find prevention is better than cure:rolleyes)..... Can I borrow some filler!!! Pmsl.. Says it all.
I assumed nothing, but gave the benefit of the doubt, cannot understand people who want to ply line it ,not necessary at all, lateral movement prevention on an old ceiling mmmm, why are you so angry with a plasterer that you do not know, yes the comment about the filler, did you ever stop to think, what the plasterer was thinking mmm doubt it tongue in cheek is more likely? yes, of course yes, its often the way plasterers talk, if every comment each one of us made was analysed and dissected in a forum such as this ,how would we appear to the reader..You have no knowledge re the old ceiling or any info about the makeup of same, if it was old lathing plaster or a lined ceiling then movement (crack) is less likely to be visible. I doubt this will give you any further insight, lets find the plasterer and ask him, he could be reading this...

In my experience I tend to find that if the boards are butted up tight that can cause cracking,I always leave a 3mm min gap in my boarding,scrim is not gonna stop it cracking its there to stop the plaster falling out if it does crack.cos it's cracked in a straight line doesn't mean he hasn't staggered the joints it maybe the length of the board and not the width,and how you gonna see scrim in a hairline crack, at least give him a chance to rake out and fill before he re does it ,hope you lot are never the jury if I'm in the dock :huh:
Nice to see common sense...

I'm Minh will no doubt tell you how ;)

Spanky, When I skim a ceiling I tell the client honestly that I cannot guarantee that the ceiling will not crack. I always maintain the highest standards of finish and I reassure them that my work comes with a 5 year guarantee that the plaster will remain in place :)

Spanky, When I skim a ceiling I tell the client honestly that I cannot guarantee that the ceiling will not crack. I always maintain the highest standards of finish and I reassure them that my work comes with a 5 year guarantee that the plaster will remain in place :)

Glad you could oblige Minh. What does Minh mean? Because every time I try to say it comes out menerrr :RpS_laugh:

So your advice to all those spreads out there who but their boards up tight is not to bother using scrim because it adds no strength?

Where did I say that of course it all helps,you obviously don't remember plaster lath board,they were never scrimmed just filled,you can have 10 inches of concrete with mesh an re bar in it but that doesn't stop cracking but it stops it breaking in half and coming apart.

Last edited:
I assumed nothing, but gave the benefit of the doubt, cannot understand people who want to ply line it ,not necessary at all, lateral movement prevention on an old ceiling mmmm, why are you so angry with a plasterer that you do not know, yes the comment about the filler, did you ever stop to think, what the plasterer was thinking mmm doubt it tongue in cheek is more likely? yes, of course yes, its often the way plasterers talk, if every comment each one of us made was analysed and dissected in a forum such as this ,how would we appear to the reader..You have no knowledge re the old ceiling or any info about the makeup of same, if it was old lathing plaster or a lined ceiling then movement (crack) is less likely to be visible. I doubt this will give you any further insight, lets find the plasterer and ask him, he could be reading this...

" a newly boarded ceiling can crack if it dries too quickly,if there is movement above the ceiling , ie if the joist above is weak and people are walking on it this can cause a tiny crack to open," sound like an assumption to me? I'm not angry with the plasterer, Pmsl I dont know him and couldn't care less, you say your giving benefit of the doubt, I think he's arsed it, as I said it's up to the customer if he's happy great. As for plylining ceilings I've been asked many times by structural engineers to do it, albeit mostly on houses that have suffered subsidence / movement, so there is merit in it. As for the borrowing filler comment are you assuming it was tounge in cheek or givin the benefit of doubt again? Someone has asked for a skimmed ceiling, whatever way you dress it johnio it's went tits up................ Wasn't you was it?????

The secret is mate make sure you don't end up in the dock:RpS_wink:

In the days of jute I was taught to fill the joints then lay on the jute scrim as we went along, before leaving this ideally for a while to firm up. We would sometimes prep this the night before so in theory the plaster cracked and shrunk be hind the jute before we laid on the two coats of skim. I think Airbornes way would be my way of offering the customer a professional approach but I would use betekontakt onto the ceiling before taping (100mm wide kind)followed by the re skim. The customer gets this in writing with any problems after this then the plasterers time is paid for.

Where did I say that of course it all helps

LOL it more than helps. i would go as far as to say it's almost essential when boarding.

It's something I hear quite a lot, the "it doesn't stop it cracking" comment, when 95% (don't quote me on that figure) of the time it does just that.

A bit like the old chestnut "It's too cold for snow", I mean, tell that to the eskimos.

tbh....these threads realy realy irriitate me there are so many variables in these situations that theres just no possible way of diagnosing the competence or quality of the job thas been carried out.

yet people jump all over with silly assumptions which is just giving a customer a misguided assumption that the plasterer involved has done a poor job.

For example the plasterer may be time served 30yrs in the game be streets ahead in experiance and pride in work than people on here that are commenting...he could have done everything a1 to all specs and for example theres a poorly braced floor with joists thats a week point for the ceiling. Or is he suppose to go upstairs lift there carpet up and tie there floor together first!

Or heavy handed sparks with the down lights or heating on full blast etc etc etc.

Equally it could be someoone with little experiance and no pride but how the hell do we know.

All your doing is misguiding the customer that any sort of plaster cracking is purely bad workmanship and this is 100% not the case.

zombie

tbh....these threads realy realy irriitate me there are so many variables in these situations that theres just no possible way of diagnosing the competence or quality of the job thas been carried out.

yet people jump all over with silly assumptions which is just giving a customer a misguided assumption that the plasterer involved has done a poor job.

For example the plasterer may be time served 30yrs in the game be streets ahead in experiance and pride in work than people on here that are commenting...he could have done everything a1 to all specs and for example theres a poorly braced floor with joists thats a week point for the ceiling. Or is he suppose to go upstairs lift there carpet up and tie there floor together first!

Or heavy handed sparks with the down lights or heating on full blast etc etc etc.

Equally it could be someoone with little experiance and no pride but how the hell do we know.

All your doing is misguiding the customer that any sort of plaster cracking is purely bad workmanship and this is 100% not the case.

zombie

Well said zombie, i do worry that Joe public will read this thread and start demanding reskims for every little thing be it your fault or not.

Yeah, loads of crap spouted on this thread. 9.5mm boards being too weak even though its an overboard ( they are crap though ), 3mm exact gaps always left between boards etc etc.

Just delete it FFS.

Yeah, loads of crap spouted on this thread. 9.5mm boards being too weak even though its an overboard ( they are crap though ), 3mm exact gaps always left between boards etc etc.

Just delete it FFS.
Reboarded was what the client said, not overboarded.

Just delete it FFS.

i was on the side of the spread ,everyone else was slaughtering him if you read back thru the threads

i diddnt slate him i tried to get the op to realise there was many different aspects by saying mabey he facked up or mabey he diddnt and it was the sparks being too ruff:RpS_thumbup:

zombie

yeah fatarm ya prick haha:RpS_thumbsup:

Nearly there carlos:RpS_wink: few more posts to the promised land Marra:RpS_thumbup:
If he's nearly there on 849 then I'm miles away from the promise land where you get a free tshirt and mug !

sod this I'm off to gardening forum :RpS_crying:

If he's nearly there on 849 then I'm miles away from the promise land where you get a free tshirt and mug !

sod this I'm off to gardening forum :RpS_crying:

You get a free T-shirt and mug???

Large for me please...............:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.