Cavity wall tie replacement...

I take it you locate the old ones first and then install new ones close to the old? next brick along or course below?

Do you drill in at a slight angle so the tie slopes towards the outer leaf?

Last edited:
It is a regular job on local properties. The wall ties rot because the properties are built close to the salt marsh. A NICE BIG EARNER. There is a local company that fits the wall ties , which is a bit of piss ,I carry out the pointing for the customer .I can make a weeks plastering wages in a day.

After boroscope Metal detect and mark old ties, bend them away from outer, drill and fit mechanical or resin ties which are best, at specified spacings , seal.

What smudge said we used the neoprene ones with 2 setting tools good system but that was few years ago prob better ones now like the helix screw in ones

U can buy stainless steel ones. Drill hole. Put them in. Fix them in with special bit that comes with them for your cordless drill. The companys I've seen do it say they remove old ones but they don't. You would have to remove a brick to get to each one. They are normally every 5 courses. post a photo.

Horizontal cracks along the beds shows signs that the ties are rusting you can either remove or isolate the tie.The new ones are put in 5 every square metre and every 3 course at the door and window reveal

I don't have any cracks on the joints...but the 'surveyor' who came round said that the ties are rusting and should be isolated and new installed.

I carried out the survey with him and there was very minor rust...

Now I'm not sure what to do as I don't want the new render to crack (it will have a mesh in it)

Did the surveyor remove bricks to check the ties because if he hasn’t there’s no way of knowing if there rusting.Get another surveyor out to check them

I don't have any cracks on the joints...but the 'surveyor' who came round said that the ties are rusting and should be isolated and new installed.

I carried out the survey with him and there was very minor rust...

Now I'm not sure what to do as I don't want the new render to crack (it will have a mesh in it)
Can you put some pictures up of this rust you mentioned?

As the wall tie rusts it will swell cracking the mortar. I presume the joints are lime mortar.
Is this property close to a salt marsh? I would say that the affected properties in my area are from the 30s.
This is not a huge job a couple of men would complete this work in a week, on a 3 bed semi.
You MAY need a certificate to show that you have had the work done if a future mortgage is required.

When I used to do em we used a metal detector locate tie then drill a hole beneath it then insert an endoscope an look at the rusted tie

An endoscope won’t tell you if the tie is rusted as you can’t see the whole tie all you can see is the part in the cavity The only way to see is take a brick out
90% of houses near me are black Ash mortar don't even need a camera to know there fuked

I've seen them doing it,they keep a few rusty ties in the tool bucket to show the customer. I did some on my house 15 years ago. Just did the bad area's. And just pointed up where it was cracked.sold it . It's been sold 2 times since . Just looks worse if it's rendered .

I’ve done a gable end recently but the peak had to be pulled down and rebuilt it was bulging and leaning out the ties were totally gone

I’ve done a gable end recently but the peak had to be pulled down and rebuilt it was bulging and leaning out the ties were totally gone
I've rebuilt a few gables like that rotten ties and one with hardly any ties in. Worst one was a huge 4 story town house full hack n dash job, new lintels, other stuff worst part was at rear on top of a triple bay the whole gable was moving in and out when pressed , no ties in it facing the sea getting battered and inner skin was iffy too, right above customer bed it was dodgy as fek ! Plenty of ties went in the rebuild.

Last edited: