Carbon trowels?

I find them easier on the elbows than SS, also find them less likely to turn the wrong way from using sand n cement here in Ireland. I much prefer them myself am looking to buy a 13inch at momment ,.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

I find them easier on the elbows than SS, also find them less likely to turn the wrong way from using sand n cement here in Ireland. I much prefer them myself am looking to buy a 13inch at momment ,.

What makes them easier? I dont think I have ever used a carbon steel one

Bit more spring/life to them, I find SS very hard in comparison, when not in use mine lives in an oily sock.

Looking to buy a 16x4, my head though is in a muddle regarding all the different variations MT do nowadays, only had Xtralite before now. Could someone describe what you get when you buy a permashape etc in comparison with Xtralite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to buy a 16x4, my head though is in a muddle regarding all the different variations MT do nowadays, only had Xtralite before now. Could someone describe what you get when you buy a permashape etc in comparison with Xtralite?

Permashape is curved along the length and along the width,I have changed to an extralite carbon 14x4,3/4.no worn in only has the slightest of curves along the blade and hopefully will stay that way,my old permashape on the other hand ended up like a canoe!the blade turned a funny shape and was almost scuffing the plaster so it had to go!
Mt do a preworn also and I think they are only curved along the width with the length being flat.:)

De-grease it first mate then leave it in a tray over night with coke and vinegar in it, just speeds up the process and stops the harsh orange rust that you can get on the top.
I did this to mine but I found when I used it and washed it a lot of the black came off,does this happen to yours if so do you repeat the process?

I did this to mine but I found when I used it and washed it a lot of the black came off,does this happen to yours if so do you repeat the process?

You'll have a film of black on it when you take it out which will wash off mate, the black is a patina which itself is a mild form of rust this will come off if your to harsh on it, say with a scotch pad or something, if you left it it would rust eventually, the black just stops oxidisation which is what causes the aggressive orange rust that pits. You will get darker spots on it as you use it, as you clean it off it will just go blacker. If you just left it from scratch out the box it would eventually go black, the vinegar just speeds it up.

The beast

Attachments

• Trowel.jpg
    Trowel.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 887
Not really, i bought that for troweling up pillars and wide window reveals so it doesnt get used that often, but recently bought a 14" MT carbon av just not had time to get it vinegared

Not really, i bought that for troweling up pillars and wide window reveals so it doesnt get used that often, but recently bought a 14" MT carbon av just not had time to get it vinegared
I learned to plaster with a stainless and used one until recently,I never considered a carbon but now I have one I wish I'd got one sooner.

I use carbon mt all the time,you'll get a great edge on them after a while.Would'nt use anything else.

I was aware they got sharper / quicker, but what are like for flattening with the 'patina' ie. Where you would be using the trowel a bit flatter?

Much better for flat trowelling K as having more spring means you don't need to apply so much pressure. The patina is not a problem comes off first rub.

I reckon snap on should bring out a trowel. All there other hand tools are bang on! [emoji108][emoji108]

Hi zolco, not so much work has picked up as all the spreads have either packed in or on the plane, impossible to get help at moment.

Hi zolco, not so much work has picked up as all the spreads have either packed in or on the plane, impossible to get help at moment.

I just read it yesterday that some tycoon pours 400million into new building sites in Ireland.
Im not sure why he wants to build so much more when there's loads unfinished or standing empty.
Only the farmers made a killing out of it in the boom with selling all the land.
Let's hope it will turn to the better, would be a shame not to.

Flemings, supposed to build ten thousand in Dublin &Cork over next six years, hope so. No young lads coming through though, FAS or whatever its now called have put twenty lads through this last five years. Prices are going to have improve big time.

Flemings, supposed to build ten thousand in Dublin &Cork over next six years, hope so. No young lads coming through though, FAS or whatever its now called have put twenty lads through this last five years. Prices are going to have improve big time.

About fcuking time the prices improved.As for apprentices any good young lad in my area left the country.Whats left would'nt work in a convulsion.

Bang on that Nicm, went through about 20 labs during the boom, one thing the tiger spawned is laziness, kids with everything handed to them, their grandparents would be ashamed!!

Insanity of it all is here again too thousands of empty developments rotting away from the last boom and now the cranes have arrived back on the skyline building more. Much of this was and is cleaning dirty money down here.

Bang on that Nicm, went through about 20 labs during the boom, one thing the tiger spawned is laziness, kids with everything handed to them, their grandparents would be ashamed!!

I have two lads , eldest fifteen big fit guy, fine blindside really enjoys coming with me during school hols, loves mixing skim and even more so having a few quid to spend. But I could not recommend he go apprentice after the last five years over here. This country has loads of great young lads, I see them a hurling, rugby, rowing training every week , I just don't see any of them ever making a spread, could you blame em..

You've probably set your own a good example paddy.
What makes you think those lads playing sport would make great workers??
Most of them wouldn't work in a fit.