Can you plaster over paper/woodchip etc?

Members online

Removed_User

Hi, apparently I know nothing about plastering and I just came here to get advice from great tradesmen..
I have woodchip on my ceiling. Can I just skim on top of it and leave a really rough job(might have to do this as it's paper)
Would sanding and filling be ok when I realise how bad it COULD be?
Your help is greatly appreciated

840AAFB3-964D-45F1-8BB4-2B32D5E2E9E5.gif

Hi, apparently I know nothing about plastering and I just came here to get advice from great tradesmen..
I have woodchip on my ceiling. Can I just skim on top of it and leave a really rough job(might have to do this as it's paper)
Would sanding and filling be ok when I realise how bad it COULD be?
Your help is greatly appreciated

Several times over the years people on here have claimed to have plastered over woodchip with no comeback. It's definitely a big no-no ,. No matter how difficult it is to get off. Problem people have with woodchip is they score it put a steamer to it then complain they can't get it off. Effective solution is thus; score the area , get a bucket with hot water mixed with wallpaper removal solution (vinegar works well but bit smelly) soak they area then leave, the solution needs to activate. Soak again and leave. Turn steamer head upright , (tape up any exposed sockets. And leave steamer running to fill room up. We picked up a job that a gang of plasterers walked off on as they couldn't get paper off. An old decorator told me this trick and stuck two labourers in there , they stripped the entire job in 3 days . Was a hotel in Paignton, turned into a bloody lovely earner

We skimmed almost a full room . Builder called askex if it can be done as the paper just wouldnt come of and he had tried steaming . I said pva it and we.ll skim it but if it fails its on your head . As far as i.m aware its still on wall. Not summet i would recommend though

Been caught out as well . Skimmed a wall that i thought was paint. While i was doing other wall i saw a little bubble. Didnt worry. Then another appeared then another . Stuck trowel in one and all wall was on floor in seconds

I can say from a customers point of view, skimming over paper is great! Telling my plasterers who insisted they needed to take it off, to “shut the f*ck up and just skim the bloody thing you dumb c*nts”, not only saved me a bunch of money and time, but gave me a quality finish I imagine you just can’t get from skimming onto plaster. My favourite bits are the bubbles and parts that aren’t attached to the ceiling, just floating in mid air, as it gives the ceiling real character, that arts and crafts look everyone is after nowadays.

My decorator wasn’t happy but what does he know. What does he think Pollyfiller and sandpaper were invented for, filling old screw holes... tw@t.

If anyone wants the number of a top quality plasterer, let me know. He might not turn up on the day he says he will and he doesn’t start work until 11:30am but he will preserver until he is completely satisfied with the outcome of his work or until dinner time, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
I can say from a customers point of view, skimming over paper is great! Telling my plasterers who insisted they needed to take it off, to “shut the f*ck up and just skim the bloody thing you dumb c*nts”, not only saved me a bunch of money and time, but gave me a quality finish I imagine you just can’t get from skimming onto plaster. My favourite bits are the bubbles and parts that aren’t attached to the ceiling, just floating in mid air, as it gives the ceiling real character, that arts and crafts look everyone is after nowadays.

My decorator wasn’t happy but what does he know. What does he think Pollyfiller and sandpaper were invented for, filling old screw holes... tw@t.

If anyone wants the number of a top quality plasterer, let me know. He might not turn up on the day he says he will and he doesn’t start work until 11:30am but he will preserver until he is completely satisfied with the outcome of his work or until dinner time, whichever comes first.