Can plaster dry through the mist coat.

mikecowley06

Hi, we have had some plastering done In our house 3 weeks ago. Me thinking it had all dried our, put a mist coat on yesterday 50/50 ratio. One the mist coat was on I noticed a lot of damp spots, my question is do I have to take it back to plaster or will the plaster dry through the mist coat if I leave it? Thanks a lot

Iv added some pictures of the damp spots, also a pic of were I have spat my dummy out and already started taking it back to plaster.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Attachments

• 20211005_094330.jpg
    20211005_094330.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
  • 20211005_094322.jpg
    20211005_094322.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 274
The trouble you may find is that the paint will probably peel in the damp spots... I rushed painting my hallway and had a patch that was not fully dry and every time the roller went over it would pull the paint off.

I would get dehumidifiers in and crank the heating up and get that room hot for a few days till its dry, whip over it with a sanding block then go again...

others will no doubt say different :D

Last edited:
The trouble you may find is that the paint will probably peel in the damp spots... I rushed painting my hallway and had a patch that was not fully dry and every time teh roller went over it would pull the paint off.

I would get dehumidifiers in and crank teh heating up and get that room hot for a few days till its dry, whip over it with a sanding block then go again...

others will no doubt say different :D
My mum says,,,,,lol
Painter I work with goes over damp skim , not had any problems

Hi, we have had some plastering done In our house 3 weeks ago. Me thinking it had all dried our, put a mist coat on yesterday 50/50 ratio. One the mist coat was on I noticed a lot of damp spots, my question is do I have to take it back to plaster or will the plaster dry through the mist coat if I leave it? Thanks a lot

Iv added some pictures of the damp spots, also a pic of were I have spat my dummy out and already started taking it back to plaster.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Mist coat won't come to any harm.

Don't go any further until it dries though. You'll slow the drying down and it could potentially peel.

That will be one guinea.

Depends what you used. If you used vinyl emulsion, then you will trap moisture in.

That's for taking the time to reply, i let it dry for a couple of days and it all seems to of dried out quiet well eventually. Well, there was no paint on the walls that I could wipe off with my finger anyway, but it was still a bit patchy. I'll probably put another mist on then a solid white all over to see if the patches show through that before I put the colour on.

Monkey boy there is quite a few polished patches in other rooms by the looks of it, so you may be onto something there.

TonyM it's just regular emulsion mate.

Thanks again for your help people.