can i k-rend over tyrolean?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard821000

hi guys, great forum you have here.

im new so hi first of all :RpS_biggrin:

iv been plastering for nearly 14 years now and am very good at traditional s&c exterier rendering, however i have question about k-rendering.
never really done much of this over my years and the little i have done has always been on new build concret block work, with base coats and mesh then top coat . i didnt really get on too well with it so dont tend to do it. im feed up of giving away domestic k-render jobs as im not as cluded up on the methods of going over original render work as i am with s&c coatings.
i looked at a job today and the lady wanted her rear of house k-rendered but it has tyrolean on it already! 90% of it is sound but some will need hacking off first. my question is how do i go about building out the brick work parts first and how/do i go about applying the k-render to the tyrolean?? do i SBR it first,then 2 coat it and rub it up? do i build out the brick work areas in sand and cement then k-render over them to match the rest? can i even go over the tyrolean at all? would i need to apply mesh like with new builds?
i tryed to convince her to go for sand and cement saying it would be cheaper but she has already had a large panel k-rendered last year to a flat finish, dont know the technical name for the finish tbh, its like rough but flat, like its been rubbed up with a spikey float then troweled in!?almost like a one coat
Marmorit thin coat acrylic render
any help would be great lads as id like to start doing more of these sorts of jobs.

many thanks

shaun

same principles apply for assssing the background and substrate of any render system, don't get miselad by the product names thinkin they require anything differnt in assessing this, as it does'nt....analyse the coating currently on there first for blown areas and if it is suitable to recieve a further 2 coats of render, only experience will tell you that, then asses it for suction and key and then specify a suitable system, if unsure, then you should take it back to substrate....k rend top coats require good suction as it can be tricky to spread, the hp12 base coat does the job very well and i would use that everytime...always try to avoid composite backgrounds with coloured renders as the differing suction rates can cause you problems...and yes seal with sbr, prior to base coat

sweet!!!

that could be the way to go then! if i was to do the standard top coat of render like normal, what would be a good mix to use IF i was going to apply this acrylic stuff on-top after?? i use a 5-1 sand cement with 2 small caps of freeflow waterproof stuff and 1 big shovel of lime..... could i go over that? with this stuff guys.

all sounds promising this!

to add to the above,
just be carefull when appling any render over existing render, with the additional weight issues, a thin coat system is fine but i wouldnt be appliying mono over it.

iv tryed it without and its not so great rubbing up without a nice shovel full of lime, works for me and had no problems with any of my render work.

what you ll find is that all plasterers have their own method and mix, iv worked with tons of spreads and they all do it differant.

Status
Not open for further replies.