Can I ask a silly question, please, on lime render / whitewash over old paint.

Members online

LouiseSJPP

Hi, guys, can I ask a silly question or two, please? Due to Covid19, my B+B is closed and I'm renovating the exterior, given I have lots of time and no earnings to spend on a professional. The walls are rendered in lime over stone, very old (300 years) but in the last 100 years, I guess, there's been paint put on it too. I can't take all the render off, it's too big a job, so I want to patch and re-coat.
I'd like to stick to lime products and not insult the old stone walls with any more paint. But will lime render and whitewash adhere to the areas that have been painted? It's old, weathered paint but what kind, I don't know.
20200619_161447.jpg

Louise

If your removing any damage and replacing with lime that's fine
If the paint is masonry then a limewash would not be a good idea.....

I can't tell from the pic how weathered the wall is .....are you getting any penetrating damp on inside ,
is the render sound ?
Is paint flaking /bubbled?

to be honest this is not a DIY job .....lime render

Also doesn't look like UK......France ?

You'll have to try a lot harder to get into the " silly question " section on this forum

We may be muck spreaders but we have high standards to keep up

Oh I don't know, I've seen a few "silly questions" on here lately.

If your removing any damage and replacing with lime that's fine
If the paint is masonry then a limewash would not be a good idea.....

I can't tell from the pic how weathered the wall is .....are you getting any penetrating damp on inside ,
is the render sound ?
Is paint flaking /bubbled?

to be honest this is not a DIY job .....lime render

Also doesn't look like UK......France ?
The render is sound, there are a few cracks where the building has moved over the years, they are being cut back in a vee and lime mortared. No damp in the walls.
The paint is sound except for a few places where it seems to have not adhered to the substrate (lime render): here it will be stripped back.
I'm used to doing jobs well outside the DIY range but being English and having lived in brick houses I've no experience with lime work. The house is in France, it's 370 years old, built of river stones.