Can anybody advise me regarding render beads please?

DrH

Ok guys, let me start by saying I'm not a plasterer. I am preparing my house for a K Rend/ Weber etc etc finish. My house is a non cavity construction and I have hacked off the defective sand and cement render to the brickwork. I have lined the brickwork with external thermal insulation boards and I am preparing the boards for the render guys. I am fitting the beads, mesh and mesh basecoat and the render guys are going to lay the top coat. My question is should I use 10mm or 15mm beads taking into account I am fitting them to the flat insulation boards. Many thanks in advance of constructive advice.

I
Ok guys, let me start by saying I'm not a plasterer. I am preparing my house for a K Rend/ Weber etc etc finish. My house is a non cavity construction and I have hacked off the defective sand and cement render to the brickwork. I have lined the brickwork with external thermal insulation boards and I am preparing the boards for the render guys. I am fitting the beads, mesh and mesh basecoat and the render guys are going to lay the top coat. My question is should I use 10mm or 15mm beads taking into account I am fitting them to the flat insulation boards. Many thanks in advance of constructive advice.
I would use 10mm but other will say 15mn

Depends what topcoat your having

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply passi. Why should the type of topcoat dictate the depth of the bead please? I will be using a silicon based topcoat to a fine scratched finish.

I
I would use 10mm but other will say 15mn

Thanks Mag,
If I am putting a meshed base coat to say 4mm them that only leaves 6mm to finish. I have seen on here that may not be enough substance for a decent topcoat. Any observations or elaboration please? Cheers

6mm thin coat beads. You need a thin coat render made for isulation boards.

Hope you have done your homework.

EWI can go very wrong, surprised the renders are allowing you to do the prep work to be honest, some before, during and after pics would be nice

all the wotk is in the boarding and mesh coats. get that wrong then its start again. the topcoat is easy to rectify.
the fact that your asking about 10 or 15mm beads is.worrying. esp if your renderers have agreed this aswell.

Desperados topping off a diy effort, nothing wrong with a having a go with somethings, but sometimes you just need to get someone in that knows the game.
We rectify so many badly fitted ewi systems of all manufacturers it's frightening.

all the wotk is in the boarding and mesh coats. get that wrong then its start again. the topcoat is easy to rectify.
the fact that your asking about 10 or 15mm beads is.worrying. esp if your renderers have agreed this aswell.

Thanks for your help guys. OK ...nice to skip to constructive advice again.
This forum, like many others, were instigated to help and assist those who are professionals and non professionals alike. Most of you guys had to learn, be it at college and/ or on site. If every professional refused to impart his knowledge and experience we would all be goosed hey?
This is my first post here and whilst I support you professional tradesmen protecting your hard earned experience, this forum is not limited to tradesmen and exactly the reason why I signed up here hoping for advice. After all isn't that what forums like this are for, sharing knowledge?

The renderer agreed to apply the second coat only. He advised 15mm beads but as in 'Dansouthcoadt84' the reason I asked is because there is a wider suggestion on this forum of bead depth from 6mm -15mm. The EWI has been glued and anchored to the brick at recommended positions, staggered and true'd vertically and horizontally. The mesh will be bedded in base coat, overlapped and strengthened at window reveals, doorways etc. Thanks to those that have taken the time to add your constructive advice. I appreciate and welcome your valuable observations.

There's giving advice and there's telling someone how to do a job.
So at 15mm I take it it's an ehi job? In which case you've probably got more tolerance on getting your base coat flat.

There's giving advice and there's telling someone how to do a job.
So at 15mm I take it it's an ehi job? In which case you've probably got more tolerance on getting your base coat flat.
it's just a thin coat system surely over insulation he's not actually said what product he's using might be an help

I honestly give up...

Firstly the customer is doing said plasterers/renderers work...then asks us the question that he should be asking him!!!

Then were all in the wrong for suggesting the prep is the most important bit...

Worlds gone mad!

I wouldn't ask you if I forgot my name, I never suggested anyone was wrong, where do I suggest that? Not the world lid, just you.

Thanks to all the guys that have given constructive advice and to the two ballon heads ...well you know who you are! Laters

I wouldn't ask you if I forgot my name, I never suggested anyone was wrong, where do I suggest that? Not the world lid, just you.
what system are you thinking of using are you thinking of using a mineral render or are you after a thin coat adhesive

Correct monk. Thin coat system so why the need for 15mm beads. And wish we could get customer to prep and we just take the cream

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Mag,
If I am putting a meshed base coat to say 4mm them that only leaves 6mm to finish. I have seen on here that may not be enough substance for a decent topcoat. Any observations or elaboration please? Cheers
Put the base coat on thin as you can and your be fine mate?

Maybe tell us who's render you are applying. Manuafacturer and product name.

Example: Weber manufacturer

Weber Lac product name.

Parex Manufacturer

Maite product name.

Then we can help you with specs.

Thanks to all the guys that have given constructive advice and to the two ballon heads ...well you know who you are! Laters
Your welcome Dr
2017-05-17-21-47-41-1107914359.jpeg
:birra:

I wonder if Drh can advice me on rough and setting

'roryston'..I normally charge for such advice but for you it's a pleasure ....'comb your face and spray it with lacquer'. Now how's that for a perpendicular finger. I bet you can't even spell that. Have a butchers at your profile pic ...they say a dog looks like it owner...I bet your the one on the left. If you need any more advice (particularly on spelling) please just ask..! by the way it's 'advise' NOT 'advice'. Now that's embarrassing.

I genuinely thank all of you that have intended on providing me with your constructive and helpful advice but it seems these forums are polluted with eejit's who are intent with adding garbage. I joined this forum to seek assistance and hopefully reciprocate but I do rather enjoy a verbal challenge too. Good fortune to those that have helped me and to the others ...well beware of taking the p**s and posting a profile photo of your dog..!

'roryston'..I normally charge for such advice but for you it's a pleasure ....'comb your face and spray it with lacquer'. Now how's that for a perpendicular finger. I bet you can't even spell that. Have a butchers at your profile pic ...they say a dog looks like it owner...I bet your the one on the left. If you need any more advice (particularly on spelling) please just ask..! by the way it's 'advise' NOT 'advice'. Now that's embarrassing.

Awh thanks mate you made my day I always thought Bruce (dog on the left) was a beautiful looking piece of equipment.

it's just a thin coat system surely over insulation he's not actually said what product he's using might be an help
It could of been a lightweight scratch render like ehi in which case it would have been 15mm, but like you say he didn't say

It could of been a lightweight scratch render like ehi in which case it would have been 15mm, but like you say he didn't say
I know pal it don't matter whatever he chooses I'm sure you will point him in the right direction you have a lot more experience at this than me