Buying from builders merchants

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mucky

Hi guys, been watching some of the threads on buying trowels and I was thinking of buying a ox trowel from serco but I don't have a trade card. Does anyone know if you can just walk in and buy stuff as normal , after all said and done you still have to pay the vat so what is so different?

Hi guys, been watching some of the threads on buying trowels and I was thinking of buying a ox trowel from serco but I don't have a trade card. Does anyone know if you can just walk in and buy stuff as normal , after all said and done you still have to pay the vat so what is so different?
I meant to type selco ! Oops!!

I get my plaster the same price as tradepoint and get my boards cheaper. I went into a Jewsons for convenience a few weeks back and paid £7 for 1 bag of skim. Ive not got an account and never been in before.

I get my plaster the same price as tradepoint and get my boards cheaper. I went into a Jewsons for convenience a few weeks back and paid £7 for 1 bag of skim. Ive not got an account and never been in before.
Thanks for that, because I have always wondered if they were a tad dearer and then gave a discount for having a trade card

Its all a big con shop around my friend sum things dearer one place but they sell something else cheaper than the place that sold the first cheap thing :RpS_thumbsup:

Its all a big con shop around my friend sum things dearer one place but they sell something else cheaper than the place that sold the first cheap thing :RpS_thumbsup:
Yes I agree, the only thing with some of these builders merchants is they don't tend to show their prices clearly so perhaps that's why they have these trade cards

Every fukas price is difo on each account tis why they have to chek the computer rather than having straight prices same for every builder etc

I went into Jewsons this morning and i aint been for ages and the lad on the counter was askin why i havent been in, I told him cos his prices as too expensive and ive been going else where. He mentions that a local spread who does loads of commercial spends about 60K on gear and he gets the best prices. I explain that there are more one man bands who spend way more than that collectively and we should all get the same prices.

It used to be cheaper for me to drive 5 miles to get the gear from Jewsons than it was to go to Doves just round the corner, But Doves realised once the house builders they were supplying (getting the best prices obviously) stopped building in the recession, that the one man bands popping in now and again were now the best spenders and dropped all there prices. They are £1 cheaper per board which is nowt when ya buying a handfull but its a canny saving on a pallet or more.

But when you look at the deals with B&Q/wickes when you buy 5 or more i dont think many BM's can match them. i defo shop around more depending on where im working

Aye arti hard to beat b and qs prices for plaster like , if ya need a couple of 3x2s u pay for it thou the timbers well expensive

My merchant are now same price as bq for multi and board. Yet are Cheaper for boards dab hardwall and coving

B&Q sponge €0.50 Garage€2.00,builders merchant ,€3.95 just an example

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

The Jewson i use , used to be Archibalds and the prices were mint, but since the change the prices seem to just be climbing all the time. Then the usual price hike in January.....................:RpS_thumbdn:. Can never understand why merchants dont look after the trades with decent prices whether your spending 5k a year or 50K

After I started the thread I thought what the hell, i will send selco a e mail about just buying a few bits and pieces without having a card ( because I don't have a business as such just doing small jobs) and they eventually sent a reply to say you have to have a card to buy from their stores. The thing is that if I "created" a business and wangled a card , I don't want the taxman saying that I owe a shed load of tax just because I bought a few bits from a bloody builders merchants!

Status
Not open for further replies.