Bullied At Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenP

Hi I'm so glad I've found this site. I'm hoping you could give me some advice please.

I have a son who last year finished an eight week course to become a qualified plasterer. He'd been unemployed before that and never thought he would be able to get a trade. Anyway when he qualified I managed to get him a start on a building site but he only lasted four weeks because of the constant bullying from the other plasterers. It wasn't all of them but when he reported the bullying to a supervisor all of them blanked him afterwards and basically made it impossible for him to carry on. The two bullys who he first reported didn't even get dismissed but just put on a warning. Is this a common thing on a site or was he just unlucky? When he did the course he got on fine with everyone including his instructors. He hasn't bothered to try and find further work since and he isn't even receiving any benefits yet because it was his decision to leave. Could anyone give him start? We are in Manchester.

Hi Helen and welcome to the forum :)

It's a tough world on site.
First off I'd say that 'bullying' is a subjective word. One mans' 'bullying' can be another mans' 'banter'. Also, having completed an 8 week course would be seen on site as a mere 'introduction' to plastering and therefore he is NOT seen as the 'qualified plasterer' that you state. His attitude on site would also go a long way towards the way he would be treated as well. Obviously I'm not sure what form this bullying took but a warning would be the first course of action in most disciplinary procedures. People don't generally get dismissed instantly unless it's for some major transgression, so site management obviously seen the warning as suitable in this case.
You need a thick skin on sites so maybe he isn't cut out for that line of work. :RpS_thumbup:

That's site work I'm afraid so he will need to man up, and unfortunately doing a weeks course does not qualify you as a plasterer, at best he could skim a bit hence where I'm guessing Mickey taking was happening for him.

It's a tough world in the building game.

Welcome by the way

Thanks for bothering to reply. You are right he was taunted because of his age and because he'd only just started like you say. But the foreman was happy with his work because he was there for four weeks. But some of the younger plasterers had started to get on his case about his work. There was something about him using certain tools when he didn't really have to for plastering outside. The ringleader had nailed a cowboy hat to a wall he was meant to plaster meaning that he was a cowboy which is ridiculous because the foreman was happy with his work and even tried to persuade him not to leave. Is there anyone on here who could give him a start in Manchester? He's a good worker and if he fell in with the right crowd would be okay with the banter. He did the course and there must have been banter on that.

Like what has been said it's dog eat dog on site but he shouldn't give up cos some lads out there will help, but the banter if you like will always be there, you've got to give it or learn to take it or you will never survive. Other than that it's domestic work on your own.

It's a fact that a lot of plasterers go way over the top with their "banter" and I don't like it one bit.

I'd give him a start but I'm to far. It would be a start too, takes years to get the skills needed to call yourself a plasterer. :)

and also tell him to come on here himself and ask for a job you shouldnt be doing his talking kick him up the arse and tell him t stop being a pussy

Thanks for bothering to reply. You are right he was taunted because of his age and because he'd only just started like you say. But the foreman was happy with his work because he was there for four weeks. But some of the younger plasterers had started to get on his case about his work. There was something about him using certain tools when he didn't really have to for plastering outside. The ringleader had nailed a cowboy hat to a wall he was meant to plaster meaning that he was a cowboy which is ridiculous because the foreman was happy with his work and even tried to persuade him not to leave. Is there anyone on here who could give him a start in Manchester? He's a good worker and if he fell in with the right crowd would be okay with the banter. He did the course and there must have been banter on that.

"Thanks for bothering to reply" I sense maybe not happy with the responses.

Surely his age is not the issue if there was younger spreads than him, tell him to keep his chin up and crack on with the next site but maybe keep the 8week course a secret.

You are right he was taunted because of his age ... :RpS_confused: The ringleader had nailed a cowboy hat to a wall he was meant to plaster meaning that he was a cowboy ... :RpS_sneaky:

Why did they taunt him because of his age :RpS_unsure: How old is he :RpS_confused:

Tell him to come on here. It'll be like practice banter for him before he goes back on site :RpS_thumbup: When my son started school he was assigned a "special friend", an older pupil who he could go to if he had any problems or was being bullied. Perhaps Danny could assign a member to fulfil that role. Someone who's been bullied himself but has been strong enough to turn the other cheek .... perhaps goldfish or fibrehand7 :RpS_thumbup:

Hi Helen,he needs to go on site with a plasterer that's trained,qualified and experienced,there will be no bullying then, I was never bullied on site in 27 yrs, but with the downturn ,plasterers are very anti coursers and foreigners it's wrong but it happens, get him in with someone that's decent in character and work.

seriously, he needs to toughen up. maybe park up outside the site one night. across the road, in the shadows. when the bully emerges he'll be laughing and joking with his mates. then one by one they'll depart and he'll be there on his own ... the rest is up to your son :RpS_sleep:

has he ever watched the film 7 days :RpS_scared:

Sorry, is that the worst that happened? Somebody nailed a cowboy hat to a wall he was going to render?

like theclemo says your son would not be seen as a plasterer out on site and him calling himself a plasterer is more than likely what is causing his problems,, your son would be far better off getting a job as a labourer or improver, then like others say he would be working with an older experienced plasterer who would take him under their wing and teach him,, he would be much more likely to find work (either on here or anywhere) by advertising him self in that way,, hope things turn out well for your son,, sorry i am to far away (down in brighton) to be able to of any help

seriously, he needs to toughen up. maybe park up outside the site one night. across the road, in the shadows. when the bully emerges he'll be laughing and joking with his mates. then one by one they'll depart and he'll be there on his own ... the rest is up to your son :RpS_sleep:

has he ever watched the film 7 days :RpS_scared:
is that a good film jurek,, is it worth watching,, thinking of watching a film tonight,,, yes i know, very boring for new years eve,, have a good one mate

Feel a bit sorry for him realy looks like he has been thrown in the deep end unfortunately when I first started, bricklaying that is my trade,when you left college you just bluffed it got the sack and whent to the next site and learnt by your mistakes and so it whent on till you gained some experience not like it now. Your son needs to work with another plasterer starting of labouring to gain some knowledge or a dedicated plastering firm as an improver he is not a qualified plasterer after an 8 week course though the may have told him that, good luck

I hate bullying on any scale !! Would love to see anybody push me around!! Especially going sober for a month !!

is that a good film jurek,, is it worth watching,, thinking of watching a film tonight,,, yes i know, very boring for new years eve,, have a good one mate

its a grim film. its in french so has subtitles. i dont mind that. you dont see what happens to the little girl thank god but everything that happens to the pedo you do :RpS_crying: i dont know. its not like gratuitous violence like in the hostel films which i dont like but it does show the violence. its more about the father thinking revenge will somehow help but in the end it doesnt.

maybe die hard on watch instead. dont know if youve seen that :rolleyes)

all the best :RpS_thumbup:

Feel a bit sorry for him realy looks like he has been thrown in the deep end unfortunately when I first started, bricklaying that is my trade,when you left college you just bluffed it got the sack and whent to the next site and learnt by your mistakes and so it whent on till you gained some experience not like it now. Your son needs to work with another plasterer starting of labouring to gain some knowledge or a dedicated plastering firm as an improver he is not a qualified plasterer after an 8 week course though the may have told him that, good luck

Blimey you were a chancer.....pmsl

The fine line between banter and bullying....

I wish your lad all the luck in the world :) what doesnt break him will make him stronger

When were you sacked last,,,

Don't do site work anymore haven't for a while but still used to get the sack but for non conforming or chinning the subby never had the sack for my plastering though never been paid either.

Don't do site work anymore haven't for a while but still used to get the sack but for non conforming or chinning the subby never had the sack for my plastering though never been paid either.

When are you back down south? Seems like ages. ......

Been down a few times mate but just fleeting visits to see my mum no time for fun like, going to Egypt Saturday for 10 days then when ime back will be down for longer periods as I have some business to sort will ring you then and catch up.

Been down a few times mate but just fleeting visits to see my mum no time for fun like, going to Egypt Saturday for 10 days then when ime back will be down for longer periods as I have some business to sort will ring you then and catch up.

Ok that would be good :)

Enjoy egypt... one place I have never been

Status
Not open for further replies.