building skills centre or hawk & trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

routs

Hi all, Im routs a tiler from eastbourne and am wanting to do a plastering course as a lot of clients are always asking me for a plasterers number, so i might as well do both jobs. I've seen a couple of courses that seem to fit the bill, Hawk & trowel in brighton near to me and building skills centre in dorset which is near to a relatives so staying there wont be a problem, if anyone has any information on these courses or any others that you think might be of use to me please let me know your thoughts, thanks a lot guys and all the best for the new year, Routs

Hi everyone, My names Si. I am also very interested in the Hawk'n'Trowel 5 day program. Has anyone else used them ? I am about 20 mins away from Brighton where they are based. I can do the odd bit of plastering like reveals and small areas but not over confident in large areas.
I look forward to any info that can be passed on to me. Regards Si

LOL,

I think you may have met me, lol myself and a friend done week there to see what the crack was lol. was it just you and howard?

I think I was there before 2005.. must have been.... cant for the life of me think now.

Danny

If it was before 95' it would have been howard and dave two small round old boys ( good lads ) I was only 28/9 when i worked there.
How did you enjoy your time there, I actually think Howard is a gem of an instructor, he taught me more about teaching plastering than so called lecturers in colleges where i have worked. Hope this clears it up Danny. :)

Hello,

Was definiately you and howard, yeah you would have been about that age then.

So why have you gone to teaching? is it more money? or do you just not like the hassel of running your own business?

Danny

HI Danny
Teaching just sounded cool at the time and wanted the whole career and security for the family. But tell you what Danny I would encourage you to go into it. There is a real lack of enthusisastic young people like you passing on the trade. Get youre NVQ as i think you plan to and then think about a basic teaching course but even that is not essential. The real gem is your A1 assessor award once you have that you are like rocking horse sh!* the colleges will be queing up for your services.Good talking to you Danny. SPREAD ON!

Now that sounds like a plan,

Without being rude, you can PM me the answer, what sort of money do teachers get? and assessors?

When I come back from travelling it maybe an option I also have another idea which I fancy doing if I decide to emirgrate to australia which will include training.

Thanks for all the advice

Danny

Hi Danny Teachers can earn between 24 and 30k depending on your quals. Colleges are the worst payers and if you have plenty of plastering work at 120 a day ish you will earn more that way. On the other hand if its regular money, security and career prospects you are after go the education route. Not forgetting the 12 weeks a year holiday you get as a teacher yes 12!. Work out how much extra you could earn in those 12 weeks plastering and add it to the salary and it looks a whole lot rosier.
If you are off to oz you might need to want to check out a city and guilds course as an NVQ is a NATIONAL vocational qualification but city and guilds are globally recognised. Speak to you soon.
Robospread.

Ah ok, so NVQ is different from city and guilds.

How do you go about getting a city and guilds?

Thanks for all the advice. I do like keeping my options open

Danny

I know you are a gold trowel fan and I think they offer a City and Guilds course but here where I work we do offer one cheaper. I wont name the place as im not here to advertise.Mail me direct if you want more info.
But I will say the city and guilds is a higher level NVQ1 but not as good as an NVQ2 because the NVQ2 is a combination of on site and workshop training.The city and guilds, like an ICA is all in house training. Just be sure you choose the right one Danny. Have a good day!

Ah ok, I looked on your site for the prices but they are not listed.

I am not sure what to do, £3k is a lot and dont really anderstand the difference between the two. NVQ 2 is skills testing but not really recognised all over the world but the city and guilds is but is £3k?

hmmm

Danny

our city and guilds is 2400 and additional is funding is available depending on your circumstances.
The basic difference is, When you have an NVQ 2 it means you have learnt apprentice style one or two days a week at college and the rest on site so you are already experienced. City and guilds and ICA are one or two days a week at college or intensive courses but only in a training environment so you do not have site experience. this is the big difference.

I see, so the NVQ is better on the experience point of veiw but on paper the city and guilds looks better...lol

Well I am going ahead with the NVQ as its prob the best route at the moment.....I hope

Cheers for the advice

Danny

I recommend Goldtrowel they are the ones for hardcore solid plastering. Professional and more than knowledgeable

Read an awful lot and don't always respond. Sometimes people talk and others listen. Whatever price you get for such courses isn't a problem. What is , is value for money and to be honest I have visited every training centre in the Uk over the past 12 months. To see what was right. Said in my previous thread what is in my opinoin the best training out there. The NVQ2 well letsget other viewers from this site to see who's got the NVQL2 the assessors at goldtwrel will come out via there governing body and do your OSAts' had Chris for 2 visits and Andy for 1. They are top fellas and kniow what they talking about. Use their forum a lot with this one. So point is check out these centres before you invest in the future. How many of these know the Trowel float trowel method. Say know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.