building contractors

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc

TPF Special Forces
talking to a young chap today who had just won a contract from a major contractor, [ not plastering] and he was told that he would have to pay 6% of the contract to the contractor, up front, to prove that he was financially viable. when asked if that would be ok he answered, no problem because he needed 25%, upfront, to prove that the contractor was viable.
the word is that the contractor is pricing 5% below costs, so they must have the subbie over to make any profit.

Putting it in to an independent would be the way to go, no way would I ever put money into a drain like this, who knows what the bottom would go.

john, i would not put a penny into this type of deal, independent or not, but you know once one contractor starts these things , the rest will follow.
the building contractor i am talking about is notorious for busting subbies, but there are still, workers on their jobs.
the only advice that i could give a sub contractor, is be very carefull, you are better off closing down then getting involed in these schemes.

john, i would not put a penny into this type of deal, independent or not, but you know once one contractor starts these things , the rest will follow.
the building contractor i am talking about is notorious for busting subbies, but there are still, workers on their jobs.
the only advice that i could give a sub contractor, is be very carefull, you are better off closing down then getting involed in these schemes.
Not one for me, watched too many in Ireland getting screwed by contractors underpricing jobs then knocking suppliers and subbies, the contractors do well and its all legal bizarrely .

Local council is worse.. They've bankrupted a few people by not paying them.

Welcome to the construction world 2013.
name and shame them in the private bit.

Local council is worse.. They've bankrupted a few people by not paying them.

do you know i have always found councils to be honest. i time the work to make sure that my invoice goes in a couple of days before the council meeting. the invoice gets passed at the meeting, and i pick a cheque from the secretary a couple of days later.

do you know i have always found councils to be honest. i time the work to make sure that my invoice goes in a couple of days before the council meeting. the invoice gets passed at the meeting, and i pick a cheque from the secretary a couple of days later.
But £100 k of work done by the council is billed at £ 300k they have no need or desire to not pay people, the money is set aside for the work and its more than enough ,if your paperwork is correct and your contract written and understood correctly I can't see where a problem would arise,

We can do it in the private part buut no way can we name and shame in the public forums :)

Danny
Ah do it, I will move my funds so that I cannot lose any dosh, be brave Danny, you are young, you can rise again and we would visit you for a while and send cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.