Building a 'frameless' loft access door. (In a wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrterror

Hi, I have no pictures, but I'll try to be brief.

I want to create a loft access door in a wall. The hole has already been cut out. A drywall saw was used and the edges are pretty good and straight really. Quite a good job.

I do not want a frame around the door, as I want it to look almost invisible.

I am intending on using MDF to construct the door.

I have not yet done any framing inside yet.

What I want to know is how, or what to use to get really tidy and neat edges. My first thoughts were angle beading, but I don't want to chase out the front face of the plastered boards.

Is there a trim that has a very thin leading edge that can be used and if so where can one be purchased? And then just fill any very tiny imperfections where the trim would sit against the end of the boards/ the board edges.

Ta Muchley
D

You could use a drywall flex tape and wrap it around the cut edges of the plasterboard. It sits very tight to the board. Failing that, you could always buy a proper access panel with door that can be jointed into the opening. These are quite expensive though.
Flex tape is about £8 for a 30m roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't you just use a skim stop bead? Or an edge bead that fits onto the side of the plasterboard. You could make the access panel from plasterboard and use these beads around the edge then it will look like a proper access panel once skimmed and painted

Is your gas meter there by any chance.........put in a serving hatch instead ..there coming back in .....

Last edited by a moderator:
three customers have had them done.............personally I hate them. .(the serving hatches not the customers) but hey ho its there choice..................

Status
Not open for further replies.