Bubbles in plaster

Dave king

Hi all
I plastered a large ceiling yesterday 47sq m it was on plasterboards that had been up for around 4 weeks. I pur PVA on the boards as they had been up a while. I kept getting bubbles in the plaster all over the ceiling and even had a couple of chunks just fall off. Does anyone know why this happens?

It was really hot in there had some glazing too where the bifold doors where I've never had it before

Plaster was drying as you skimmed. Wanted a better sealer on boards to hold it off so it stuck better. As it dried while you skimmed it starts to pull up I guess. After a while it starts to lift and painting with emulsion speeds up the failure. Jmo

It ca be too hot sometimes... had it last year in a room that was red hot and it was slumping and dragging...

Sounds like heat was defiantly the problem looked over it this morning its bad so need to reskim any advise would be great guys

Sounds like heat was defiantly the problem looked over it this morning its bad so need to reskim any advise would be great guys
47m2 is a big lid by anybodys standards on your own, especially on a hot day. Would prob give a thinnish coat of PVA, before a decent thicker coat.

Pva still wet no other explanation. Just let em be and hard trowel out.

If re-skimming it. 1 thin coat of pva then another thicker coat straight over it so its looking white. Open all windows and go for breakfast. Let it dry then skim. I’ve been skimming in this heat no problem. Only issue I’ve ever has was - temps where plaster goes fluffy.

Could be the plaster board paper slightly coming away from core of the board caused the bubbles , I’d just pop them and easi fill tbh reskim that amount of dried skim you’d be stuffed before even half way even with gyprime unless you gave it 2/3 pure gyprime coats first

Big thanks to all for the advise my next problem is getting the chippy out of the way so I can get on with it he seems to think this room is his workshop with every tool you can think of lol he's only hanging doors etc you would think he was building another house lol

In your situation I would chip any loose, grit/Bond-it, patch and go again with some help. You need to be sure.
47m Ceiling on you're own is ballsy and more than I'd try on my tod. Possibly try a retarder as well to give you half a chance.

And for the future know your limitations and don't take on jobs that are to big for you handle on your own .

Big thanks to all for the advise my next problem is getting the chippy out of the way so I can get on with it he seems to think this room is his workshop with every tool you can think of lol he's only hanging doors etc you would think he was building another house lol

Throw some gear on his chisels he will soon piss off

You was scared of a 6sqm ceiling over unpainted skim the other day now you going for 47...good luck mate your going to need it

Not pure mate it was diluted
Haha soz maybe hit the ceiling to early for the multi to hold? Always get the odd bubbles pva over plasterboard just push them back after a while. If I have to seal old plasterboard I do a pissy coat and let it dry completely. If it’s done wrong it slumps off.