brown face of board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
why ca'nt i plaster on the brown face of the board where it says plaster on other side only. the house owner today was saying in the olden days the brown face was plastererd and why did'nt they do that now. i did'nt really know what to say to him ?

I think it was to do with the suction of the board,if i rember correctly , could be wrong , which is very unusal for me according to my sons
:RpS_crying:

thanks crossyhamo it is what i was thinking. jessop what is the answer then mate? if i do'nt know i will ask not like you lol

They had a problem with the boards years ago the paper would come away from the inside and would cause bumps or what we called them board moles, so now you skim to the bound edge.

Last edited:
Think in the old day one side was to plaster other side was for tape and jointing no I am a silly old grit

Just plaster the side it tells you 2, otherwise any comeback lies with you, you can plaster the other side, but its not correct.

thanks kebab king. i just wanted to know why you did'nt plaster the brown side anymoe. it is good for chitchat it just looks good for me. that ive been around and that

thanks for that. i wish i knew that today so the paper is the same on both sides and the suction?

Not entirely, you will often see the brown side with visible blisters, (paper not adhered to board)! I'd be a fibber if I said hadn't skimmed a brown side due to a board malfunction due to a hang over, no probs at all!

lol. i have seen the blisters you mean like ripples. i read somewere on google that the brown side is recycled paper and so does not have the same qualities for adhesion asthe gray? i do'nt know the answer that is why i asked

if you did some more reading on here and learnt some more basic stuff you could probably convince your poor customers that you have "been around" for ages and not fresh off a short course

Brown side these days the paper is recycled and not sutiable for skimming on, years ago you had one side for skimming and the other for decorating or artexing.

lol. i have seen the blisters you mean like ripples. i read somewere on google that the brown side is recycled paper and so does not have the same qualities for adhesion asthe gray? i do'nt know the answer that is why i asked

that's where i'm at, dave, and same as lucius above. there's no problem asking questions

just skim and spondge any side they wont be able to see the writing once youv done! i always skim the brown side cos i always cut the boards wrong

i've got to say, dave does ask a few questions that seem to divide opinion. what is the definative answer to this one? i thought it was the recycled paper thing .... it's like dave is an idiot savant; that he's really smarter than he seems ....

i've got to say, dave does ask a few questions that seem to divide opinion. what is the definative answer to this one? i thought it was the recycled paper thing .... it's like dave is an idiot savant; that he's really smarter than he seems ....

Mabye he,s liverpolish:RpS_sneaky:............

:RpS_lol: it's hard enough being jurek ffs. i think dave may be the I, Claudius, of TPF. he may well be like a Forest Gump character

what is the definative answer to this one?

White side paper goes over board edge onto other side of board grey/brown side paper goes 2 mil or so from edge of board therefore less chance of paper de-laminating on joints

White paper as got pores in it so the plaster sticks to it better that's why you should plaster the board asap when fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.