Broomshank corners

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowen70

Allo folks me again. Would love a bit of help from my fellow more experienced students.

So I am fairly new to beading, been floating or nailing and skimming on boards which is all well and good in a perfect world.

But lately I've been thinking about redoing my entire flat for a bit of practice. It is high ceiling (silly high like 14 foot or something in places), old and been previously done in parts by chancers and cowboys by the looks of it and it would be nice to have even a half decent wall in the place.

What is your experience with whacking beads on broomshank corners, its just a situation I've never thought of or had to deal with. Will they sit nice floated over or do you have to take the wall down and start again?

I'm off to BandQ tomorrow for half a dozen bags of plaster and a bunch of beads, should be fun. I've got a crap kitchen to contend with before dealing with the older bedrooms and those corners. Might have some questions vis a vis overboarding vs a straight reskim if anyone has any preminary thoughts on that?

Bullnose corners out if timber ? Some people bead over the top and scrim but this still tends to crack , best way is remove the bead , fill with bonding to build out the angle and stick your bead on , the timber expands etc and cracks the new skimming . Hope this helps matey.

Also tey looking into getting some trestles and a few batons , look on gumtree for the trestles etc or hire places flog second hand ones etc :RpS_thumbup:

Bullnose corners out if timber ? Some people bead over the top and scrim but this still tends to crack , best way is remove the bead , fill with bonding to build out the angle and stick your bead on , the timber expands etc and cracks the new skimming . Hope this helps matey.

Same as this. Always take them out, otherwise you'll regret it :RpS_thumbup:

That makes an awful lot of sense thank you!

is this a listed property?

Haha no its just really really old. The old walls ironically are the better ones, you really wouldn't like the ones that have been done by modern "professional" plasterers.

Is this a really rare thing like? I remember seeing them on the grandparents 100 year old house (lime and horsehair one latt boards it was so old) but we didn't redo those walls so I didn't have to deal with them. So I assumed I might come across them sometimes.

Haha no its just really really old. The old walls ironically are the better ones, you really wouldn't like the ones that have been done by modern "professional" plasterers.

Is this a really rare thing like? I remember seeing them on the grandparents 100 year old house (lime and horsehair one latt boards it was so old) but we didn't redo those walls so I didn't have to deal with them. So I assumed I might come across them sometimes.

we still use wooden angle beads today when specd on listed buildings.

Lol. Some of the advice on here makes me laugh. Around here mate they are called mop ends. Do NOT take them out of the wall and make unnessesary work for yourself. I can not understand that advice at all. Just afix new beads over the top with clout nails or dab them on if you cannot get them to sit right. I have won awards for my plastering and have always done it this way and never had to correct any work afterward. Whta would you do with an old wood lintel? rip that out? lol

i m ust have the wrong definition of a broomshank corner, i'm under the impression its a formed bullnose corner, if he's living in a house with plaster and lath walls he should consider ripping them down not prettying them up imo.

Started prepping a wall in this crappy flat...never looked that close but yep someone plastered over wallpaper in my kitchen. So that is pretty interesting!

Lol. Some of the advice on here makes me laugh. Around here mate they are called mop ends. Do NOT take them out of the wall and make unnessesary work for yourself. I can not understand that advice at all. Just afix new beads over the top with clout nails or dab them on if you cannot get them to sit right. I have won awards for my plastering and have always done it this way and never had to correct any work afterward. Whta would you do with an old wood lintel? rip that out? lol

Lmfao :RpS_laugh: who cares what you've won? :huh:
Angle beads on wood will crack, end of, seen it loads of times & had to put it right probably by tw4ts like you, now jog on back to you precious awards you prick pmsl :RpS_lol:

Does work :huh:

26678d1261403125-bullnose-corners-radcrownfinalsm.jpg on a corner like that?

dunno tbh, not sure where this wood is coming into it, spose some of them might be wood moulds but I never saw one, only moulded with plaster. he should call a carpenter.

Lol. You give bad advice and then shout and threaten to cover up for it. Ive seen it all before lad. Were did you learn the trade? The lad is just starting at least let him learn the right way. I'm well known around Merseyside and have corrected jobs done by idiots like you as long as I can remember. You mentioned the awards mate not me. Lol.

dunno tbh, not sure where this wood is coming into it, spose some of them might be wood moulds but I never saw one, only moulded with plaster. he should call a carpenter.

Me neither, thought he meant wood beads on chimney breast? :RpS_unsure:
Ah well who cares :RpS_thumbsup:

Knock the wall down mate & start again :rolleyes)

Lol. You give bad advice and then shout and threaten to cover up for it. Ive seen it all before lad. Were did you learn the trade? The lad is just starting at least let him learn the right way. I'm well known around Merseyside and have corrected jobs done by idiots like you as long as I can remember. You mentioned the awards mate not me. Lol.

Been readin this thread, u mentioned the awards first mate, who cares wot you've won, nailin beads over wooden angles will crack, seen it a million times, youre prob long gone with ur award by time it cracks tho!

Been readin this thread, u mentioned the awards first mate, who cares wot you've won, nailin beads over wooden angles will crack, seen it a million times, youre prob long gone with ur award by time it cracks tho!

Its the blind leading the blind. Lol. I never mentioned the awards I was showing that Ive been in the trade probably longer than you were born. Thats how I have done it and thats the way we all do around here. The problem with lads like you and nissus is you have learned it from forums like and not in the real world. Ignorance is bliss they say so you two must be really happby. Lol

Lmfao :RpS_laugh: who cares what you've won? :huh:
Angle beads on wood will crack, end of, seen it loads of times & had to put it right probably by tw4ts like you, now jog on back to you precious awards you prick pmsl :RpS_lol:

and why are they called mopeds where he lives..........................:RpS_confused:

Its the blind leading the blind. Lol. I never mentioned the awards I was showing that Ive been in the trade probably longer than you were born. Thats how I have done it and thats the way we all do around here. The problem with lads like you and nissus is you have learned it from forums like and not in the real world. Ignorance is bliss they say so you two must be really happby. Lol

you tell em MP.................some right chancer's on here buddy...................looks like you've rumbled Nisus already

Have to say though buddy.............you didn't get ya awards for spelling and punctuation......................:RpS_thumbup:

You never mentioned the awards??????

You never mentioned the awards??????

when i was an apprentice and the older plasterers, who had been in the 2nd world war,as a joke they would make each other medals with ribbons ,out of plaster, to give to each other when they had completed a task.

Status
Not open for further replies.