Broken in trowels

irish_spread

Private Member
After breaking a 10yr old ss MT, my mate taking one of my worn ss tyzaks to Ireland with him and leaving a ss broke in MT in Tobago last year because I was supposed to go back this year I'm short on trowels.
I'm left with only one broken in ss tyzak and a 20 yr old Carbon MT which I'm loath to take out of its cotton wool box. Don't do a lot of rendering/floating anymore so anyone got any suggestions for use straight away /trowelling up trowels ?

I've been using broke in tyzaks from the box for 6 yrs but now the new ones aren't as well worn in.

Gibbo and Cornelius suggested extradite MT s, any other ideas ?

I have no probs with my ox and use it from first trowel to last .seen plenty of my work painted and it look flawless .imo.

Ox doesn't last long until they start to bend to much, permashape Mt are near enough good enough to skim with straight away, nela ss trowel is crap takes to long to wear in and are to thin width ways

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

I've never understood these posts every skimming trowel I've ever had I've always broken in before using.

1) file corners round
2) run blade down a oil stone
3) wet & dry sand paper

Takes about an hour then good to go

Zombie your a muppet mate how do you get the bend on carbon steel one then! Why would you file corners down

I've never understood these posts every skimming trowel I've ever had I've always broken in before using.

1) file corners round
2) run blade down a oil stone
3) wet & dry sand paper

Takes about an hour then good to go

I used to do that but I overdid it on a couple

I just float and scratch with them a while, usually after a month or two they good to go. Got a nela premium on the way, as good MT bends at the toe now, have an xtralite ready for skimming now though hear the premiums take ages to wear in.

I just float and scratch with them a while, usually after a month or two they good to go. Got a nela premium on the way, as good MT bends at the toe now, have an xtralite ready for skimming now though hear the premiums take ages to wear in.[/QUOTE

I'm doing mainly domestic now in London. Rarely get any floating anymore. People pay a fortune for their houses and save money after by d+d everything. Most rendering now is thin coat

Zombie your a muppet mate how do you get the bend on carbon steel one then! Why would you file corners down

Why am I a Muppet 10 men?

Ref corners I'm only talking nicking the point off!

And why would I want a curved trowel I want them as flat as possible!

I'd go for mt extralite Carbon they are my favourite tbh ,

Failing that if you are really in the s**t I'll send you one of my older mt ss 14 inch if you want one @irish_spread , tbh I got 3 sitting in my garage doing sod all , might need a new handle on it though as I worn it through to the metal on the handle.

I'd go for mt extralite Carbon they are my favourite tbh ,

Failing that if you are really in the s**t I'll send you one of my older mt ss 14 inch if you want one @irish_spread , tbh I got 3 sitting in my garage doing sod all , might need a new handle on it though as I worn it through to the metal on the handle.

Good deed of the day [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting use to the handle of a trowel is probably what takes the time... a broken in trowel I reckon is more about how it feels in your hand rather than how the blade itself is.

We have all plastered with a brand new trowel and all finished to the usual standards.... maybe it is all in our heads :D

getting use to the handle of a trowel is probably what takes the time... a broken in trowel I reckon is more about how it feels in your hand rather than how the blade itself is.

We have all plastered with a brand new trowel and all finished to the usual standards.... maybe it is all in our heads :D
I agree! Plus you can always chuck your old handle on a new trowel [emoji57]

Ive had mine about a week now not used anything else since keep the trowel wet it will be fine

Nah it's all about the blade for me. Flexi trowels seem to have to be held at more of closed angle to stop drag and chatter which works but seems to make it liable to digging in when changing direction and steelies..... oh I hate new blades. Chatter chatter drag drag.... (Not the "pre worn" ones so much) just till you take the initial edge off then its all forgotten. Handles never really bothered me...... yet.

Nah it's all about the blade for me. Flexi trowels seem to have to be held at more of closed angle to stop drag and chatter which works but seems to make it liable to digging in when changing direction and steelies..... oh I hate new blades. Chatter chatter drag drag.... (Not the "pre worn" ones so much) just till you take the initial edge off then its all forgotten. Handles never really bothered me...... yet.

fair enough :D

My newer permashape impressed me out the box on skimming, I've been using it between rendering and skimming latley and its just keeps getting better and better

Nela premium and medi landed today, so might have to bring new toy in tomorrow, although just skimming. Have to say I wasn't keen on buying trowels online, I like to check the blades shaped right first, but ones that came today are one hundred percent.

I love my MT permashape :D I love nela but dont do enough these days :D
Maybe you should do a bit more. I maybe you're glad only doin wee bits here n there now. Lol we starting new job next week so bit of sand cement to try out new one. I haven't used a Perma Shape in years, last one I had broke a chunk out it bouncing it off a Scaffold bar in bad temper. Did like it though, think it was a 13x5 just.

Maybe you should do a bit more. I maybe you're glad only doin wee bits here n there now. Lol we starting new job next week so bit of sand cement to try out new one. I haven't used a Perma Shape in years, last one I had broke a chunk out it bouncing it off a Scaffold bar in bad temper. Did like it though, think it was a 13x5 just.

I do enough to keep my hand in :D Any more and it would drive me crazy :D