Broke my s*p*r*lex

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigK

Private Member
Today, about 8 weeks old, knocked it off the spot oars with the handle of the spat! Think I've too many tools [emoji23]
Was using a 16 inch but have a 14 inch back up but must now buy another, that doesn't bother me its just that feckin delivery charge [emoji35]

I have a 16 an 18'and a midget version,I like them all but the 16 seems about right for all the general tasks.

Today, about 8 weeks old, knocked it off the spot oars with the handle of the spat! Think I've too many tools [emoji23]
Was using a 16 inch but have a 14 inch back up but must now buy another, that doesn't bother me its just that feckin delivery charge [emoji35]

If you want mate i have an Northern Irish address it's a lot cheaper to send there. I'll buy a super flex to in the same order. Then ill send your trowel on to u. Should be a lot cheaper

It depends on what size trowel you would normally use I'd say, I use a 14 inch mt, so the 16 seems about right, as for the midget @kgreigh anywhere that small doesn't get much troweling from me!
It's a good little tool tbf standard midget trowels are quite ridged having a narrow blade so the midget flex complements them well.less effort needed in the tight areas.:)

Had a go with the yoke today , weird experience , what sorcery is this trowel? No water? seems to drag it to the top? No weight either on the trowel.
I had a crappy wall , big holes , hollows and bumps all over it but seemed ok ,
IMG_20150716_132725316.jpg

Tried to take a photo with the side sun , no weight and pretty flat for a mess of a wall
pretty impressive , have a load of big walls and ceilings to do next week so looking forward to checking it out then.

Old habits die hard, was too anxious to get on it and too much water, got loads tiger stripes first day.
Once corrected that I flew it.
Having said that in the more humid weather and now it's well broke in it gets slightly more water, just a wipe of the brush.

my intial experience was that it juddered a lot but i put that down to too much weight and the wrong angle.
Also i reckon its finish down and up , like no starting in the middle of the wall , too sharp and cut in.
I also couldnt get used to no water but it was only a small wall and being painted so was happy to take a chance , really did flatten but im not sure how?
I flicked over it with the MT to check and it was flat so it works.
Reckon the big thing is timing, ive a couple of big runs to do next week so my plan is to use MT to put on and close in and maybe one more trowel to get nice and flat and then finish with the NeLa.
I was well impressed with it , no fat and no water and no weight
Right thats me off for a heavy weekend drinking in Galway :)

how are you getting on with the nela now @bhyland
Getting there. Its not troweling up as nice as when i use my MT but im putting it down to the fact the edges havent yet worn in yet. my work doesnt look the same either when drying out compared to when i use my MT. Is this normal??

Getting there. Its not troweling up as nice as when i use my MT but im putting it down to the fact the edges havent yet worn in yet. my work doesnt look the same either when drying out compared to when i use my MT. Is this normal??

Im also new to it , been using for a couple of weeks.
I get weird marks when its drying , looks like those tiger marks but its completely smooth and flat, so it is just looks odd , the walls are 100%
If its not trowelling right then something is up , ive never had a trowel like it!
My method is to use MT 1st and 2nd coats , flatten in with MT and 2 goes over with Nela.
but ive experimented with laying on with Nela etc and all that works dead on too.
Its not revolutionary but it sure as hell takes a lot of work and mess out the last couple of trowels!

Yeah its a weird one , im so used to flicking the wall with water and i think thats whats causing it.
Defo need to get into the habit of wetting the trowel instead .
One things for sure , its the best ever bit of kit ive bought , i hate buying tools but looking out for a 16" now and another 14" in case it breaks!

Yeah its a weird one , im so used to flicking the wall with water and i think thats whats causing it.
One things for sure , its the best ever bit of kit ive bought , i hate buying tools but looking out for a 16" now and another 14" in case it breaks!

yeah definitely a nice trowel.... I remember the Jap trowels which is where these derived from :D

I was thinking too , that if i was younger and less experienced i might not be as excited about it.
Older and experienced and it takes so much work out of the finish.
Glad i found out about it

this is what is sooooooo good about the plasterers forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.