Bricklayers' pay goes through the roof to £40,000 a year after Government's Help to Buy scheme promp

Members online

It's good to see. Long may it continue. Better theres a shortage than too many in any trade IMO.

YUp i hate the daily mail... there is an element of truth in most of their stories but the rest is just drivel

we had the same drivel in to days east anglian daily times, what the builders mean is there is no cheap brickies about, and they would like to import some from eastern europe to get the rates down!

Absolute b*ll***s. Site brickies round here were on around £120 a day in 2013. To put that in perspective, I was earning £100 a day on the hod in 88.

Brickies are on £1100 bring home on primark site in York city centre don't know about other trades#f,,,,ing madness!!!!

Brickies are on £1100 bring home on primark site in York city centre don't know about other trades#f,,,,ing madness!!!!
A pal of mines on the new John Lewis site in Leeds centre and he's on about the same, over a £1000 a week as a subbie, I think rates are going up across the board, I know a few subbies across the board doing different stuff and they said there prices are going up.
I'm having to pay subbies more to get them in rendering for me, that's a good indicator of prices going up.

Last edited:
A pal of mines on the new John Lewis site in Leeds centre and he's on about the same, over a £1000 a week as a subbie.
Yeah gone mad round here two nephews been there for couple of months love it not killing themselves either they've got there own business but couldn't turn that sort of money down no hassle no awkward customers worked a Saturday got£400 each!!!!!

Some renderers I know are on a Miller home site near Harrogate, there getting around £1000 a week steady away paid on a measure mon-fri, week in hand straight to there bank, there's a lot to be said for it, turn up nothing to organise go home switch off.

Sites you can be great money get the right job had a couple over the years 6,000 mtrs krend £12 and plus £20 a day fuel money on A job just now powerwall scratch 14 mtr got 1600 mtrs left on it plus fuel money you can do good on the sites as you say no hassle just arrive with machine they hire the gennie and away u go

The only slow down up here is there flooding jobs with romanions for less than have the price well known company paying £6 for scratch

I used to just
Be brickwork contractor price only.

Hard graft , good money .... things to consider , the weather in uk , "lots of days
No show "..
I prefer to build extensions , for domestic customers , even if some drive me insane lol .
Can get plenty of inside work , once shell is done :)xx

advert with the current rates in our local paper for brickies the rates are improving.
20160528_101906-1.jpg

its very rare you See an advert for plasterers where they'll mention the rates upfront its always secret service cloak and dagger stuff "don't tell the others but I'm paying your lads a better rate" (y) rightio.

there's another advert in there.
Accountant needed.

£35,000 - £42,000.
:endesacuerdo: ffs.
I just left them a voice mail saying the answers -£7,000(y).
why the feck would you need an accountant for that?.

Here in Sheffield an ex bricky I know now operating his own grabber lorry rung round all his bricky pals to build him an extension.

No one available for months.

Lets hope bricky's get a decent wedge. No one gave a monkeys in 2008 when the credit crunch came and put bricky's out of work.

All outside workers deserve a good daily rate. What with no one wanting us in winter, rainy days, windy days, cold days.

If you cant get £20k a year minimum something is wrong.

I hope nobody tells the plasterers everyone is getting rich this yr cos on one of our sites in manchester they r getting 1.75 per on skim. They will be upset if theu realise nobody told them it was party time......