Brick wall behind a chimney breast.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

25mars

Hi Guys I am wondering weather anybody would be able to give me some advice. I have recently bought my first house, a 100 year old terrace and removed the rear chimney breast that was on an outside wall. When i removed the breast the wall behind it was quite crumbly and very sooty and dusty. The brick work has obviously been baked over the last hundred years and so is quite poor and uneven. I am just wondering that if any of you guys where faced with job what process u would use? Any advice is welcome, many thanks...

if its just brick and your not planning on rendering it get some brick cleaner (acid) give it clean maybe point up and replace the bricks which are shagged.

Sorry probably not been clear in my description the wall I am describing is in my dining room and rear bedroom, so will need to be plastered. Thanks

dot and dab plasterboard to whole wall, so it's nice and plumb and smooth, then skim it. sorted :RpS_thumbsup:

If you are worried about the brickwork you can clean it up then just give it a scratch coat of sand and cement and then dab it.

thanks for the replies, so how would i go about applying a scratch coat of sand and cement. I guess i would,

- Clean down the wall, and remove all soot.
- Seal with 5:1 PVA/water
- apply 4:1 Sand/Cement (how thick)

I dont know if this is right??? any advice would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.