Brick slips on plasterboard

Members online

paulsmith6

Bricks slips on plasterboard.. overskim first or use stronger fibreboard... These bricks are heavy... Anyone done slips with no issues.. thanks in advance
IMG_20200915_124220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_124220.jpg
    IMG_20200915_124220.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 132
No need to skim, Iv done it before I didn’t use tile adhesive though I used ‘maximum torque’ it was a kind of sticks like s**t in silicone tube

i have fitted brick slips on an EWI background using tile adhesive. we had to go over all the previous days work each day to correct any that had slipped.

Got the spacers. Intention is to do a metre high then finish once its gone off.. other job is plastered solid pillar so not an issue. Just seems.a lot of weight to do it all on one hit..

Used them years ago doing mcdonalds burger bars simular insulation but screwed to ply.. bricks wasnt as heavy back then.. might go safe and use fireboard

did you not use spacers?

no spacers.
they wanted large joints like brickwork. for the pointing we run a half inch paint brush along the base coat to give the joints a recessed look. the pointing was done after every metre of fitted slips.
the work was done on a block of flats in Hertford.

Hence why you had to reset next day. That must have been a ball ache... Mcdonalds 90s had insulation board and a plastic stuck out line, bricks sat on then point up with icing bag....

no spacers.
they wanted large joints like brickwork. for the pointing we run a half inch paint brush along the base coat to give the joints a recessed look. the pointing was done after every metre of fitted slips.
the work was done on a block of flats in Hertford.
I used strips of 9mm ply as spacers for joints, works a treat.

I used strips of 9mm ply as spacers for joints, works a treat.

ok for a small area. to slow for large areas. i was trained to fit brick slips in the Netherlands, the dutch are always in a flat spin to get the job finished.

Hi guys

If you have heavier slips, tiles or natural stone... Knauf Aquapanel Cement boards can take heavier loads

Knauf Aquapanel Indoor
When fitted to acoustic C Studs at 600mm centres - up to 50 kg / m2
Check frame performance (stud does not buckle due to weight and height of wall) and usually at max 300mm centres - prime the board and it can take up to 120 kg / m2

Knauf Aquapanel Outdoor
Recommend that the outdoor board is taped and jointed and has a min 5 mm layer of basecoat and mesh applied - this gives the weatherproof later behind the adhesive, binds all the boards together and reduces the risk of boards opening at joints if and when the structure moves or settles
When fitted to framework suitable for the load and battens / supports at 600mm centres - up to 40 kg / m2
Bring the battens / supports to 300mm centres (ensure they are still fixed back to the actual structural framework, crossed battening or similar with suitable fixings first the loads) - up to 60 kg /m2

refer to Knauf for system specs and assistance
Technical@knauf.co.uk
Or get in touch with me via DM or rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577

Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Technical Manager

Hi guys

If you have heavier slips, tiles or natural stone... Knauf Aquapanel Cement boards can take heavier loads

Knauf Aquapanel Indoor
When fitted to acoustic C Studs at 600mm centres - up to 50 kg / m2
Check frame performance (stud does not buckle due to weight and height of wall) and usually at max 300mm centres - prime the board and it can take up to 120 kg / m2

Knauf Aquapanel Outdoor
Recommend that the outdoor board is taped and jointed and has a min 5 mm layer of basecoat and mesh applied - this gives the weatherproof later behind the adhesive, binds all the boards together and reduces the risk of boards opening at joints if and when the structure moves or settles
When fitted to framework suitable for the load and battens / supports at 600mm centres - up to 40 kg / m2
Bring the battens / supports to 300mm centres (ensure they are still fixed back to the actual structural framework, crossed battening or similar with suitable fixings first the loads) - up to 60 kg /m2

refer to Knauf for system specs and assistance
Technical@knauf.co.uk
Or get in touch with me via DM or rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577

Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Technical Manager

Always make sure you use suitable tile adhesive for the sub-straight board and tile, slip, natural stone. Also, make sure it is suitable for the final environment... not all tile adhesives are suitable for external use!!

Also, there are rules for fitting bonded only tiles, slips and natural stone above 3 mtrs high - especially in outdoor applications...

Good Luck!!

Always make sure you use suitable tile adhesive for the sub-straight board and tile, slip, natural stone. Also, make sure it is suitable for the final environment... not all tile adhesives are suitable for external use!!

Also, there are rules for fitting bonded only tiles, slips and natural stone above 3 mtrs high - especially in outdoor applications...

Good Luck!!
What are the regs for fixing above 3 Mtrs external?

I can't find any reference on web apart from a system in New Zealand for earthquake protection.

obviously not, but it would be rare ina domestic settin to have tiles above that height, plus outside I’m guessing the weather can cause issues with longevity.
Stop with the long words, do you know the regs or do you just fancy a chat?

What are the regs for fixing above 3 Mtrs external?

Hi bud

Not my area of expertise.... but, if the tile is above a specific size they need to have a form of mechanical fix back to the substructure or frame.... various options to achieve this, if the supplier is reputable they will advise

Slip bricks actually fall out if the above as they are smaller in size (individually), but guidance then calls for a form of mechanical trim within the grout lines horizontally to stop the shear in the adhesive. this is usually for domestic and not really high rise applications...

That said, most brick system suppliers usually supply the clip slips to backer frame for high level systems... safer than the risk of adhesive failure ....

Go search the Tile Association for specific guidance and link to the regs

hope this helps