bone dry walls

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

hi fellas,gotta skim a room & the couple scrapped all the skim off the walls as it had blown nearly everywhere. the skim was very thin. the lady said the house was bout 25yrs old. all the walls are solid(browning) & bone dry. should i give em a thirsty drink of water or pva em? i was told pva'ing old browning/bonding walls can create a bad bond between the walls? you fellas will know best?

Where I have that type of problem I usally give em a drink of water then give the 'unskimmed' areas a tight coat of hardwall, I find this equalises the suction, once set pva the lot n skim it. Gives a good finish.

ziggy2 said:
Where I have that type of problem I usally give em a drink of water then give the 'unskimmed' areas a tight coat of hardwall, I find this equalises the suction, once set pva the lot n skim it. Gives a good finish.

Dont you mean bonding?

No mate, hardwall, it's over old brownin, the couple have scrapped the skim off the backing coat, I suppose you could give the whole lot a skim of bonding but I've always used hardwall over the areas where the skim has been removed.

the lady scrapped every single piece of skim off. it was well spent. so ill give it a good drink of water n pva. what ratios?

Give it water matey, plenty it'll suck like no tomorrow! Scrapped all the skim off! Good grief!! Give it a good drink and float over with hardwall, if it's that bad you mite have to knock it all off and start again!

two options really mate.
either cough up and Gyprime the lot with a sprayer or thin coat of h/w browning whatever you got and skim .
If it was me i think id spray the lot with gyprime then hit it/ or do a test on 2 walls???

ziggy2 said:
No mate, hardwall, it's over old brownin, the couple have scrapped the skim off the backing coat, I suppose you could give the whole lot a skim of bonding but I've always used hardwall over the areas where the skim has been removed.

hardwall-bowning is nearly the same stuff and does not stick properly to pva.

flynnyman said:
pva the lot then a tight coat of bonding then skim.

I've just done a kitchen the blokes gone mental with a tadger taking tiles
off floor to ceiling & there's no skim left & big chunks out the browning :eek:
I did same as flynny, no probs ;)

hey flynny,so your saying,2 coats of pva then a tight coat of bonding. if it's ok can ya explain the benefits of that procedure for my benefit,please? the walls are all absolutely solid & keyed up but look like they need an industrial hose pipe on em!

ballsdeep said:
hey flynny,so your saying,2 coats of pva then a tight coat of bonding. if it's ok can ya explain the benefits of that procedure for my benefit,please? the walls are all absolutely solid & keyed up but look like they need an industrial hose pipe on em!

The finish has failed in the past for 1 reason it hasnt keyed to the background, scratch the background and then apply pva to control the suction, the bonding will flatten the wall and once rubbed up will provide a key for the finish, bonding will stick to most things unlike hardwall or browning which wont.

cheers,fella. should i give it just 1 strong coat of pva 3/1 before bonding & is it necessary to give it a drink of water prior to pva'ing?

ballsdeep said:
cheers,fella. should i give it just 1 strong coat of pva 3/1 before bonding & is it necessary to give it a drink of water prior to pva'ing?

Only use the pva to control the suction not really as a key give it scratch with a knife then a coat of pva see what the suction is like if needed give it another coat of PVA, No need for the water.

Why not use hardwall lads? If you pva the browning then bonding will stick to anything but hardwall designed for higher suction background so give it a drink of water and hardwall it, I've not had any problems with it, but a whole room with the skim scrapped off may require a bit more than a skim of bonding or hardwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.