Bonding or Hardwall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianwingate

Hi all

I have had an extension built and it is now time to have the walls plastered. I have been told of two different methods. Bonding (Browning) or Hardwall.

I'm not a plasterer and have no experience in plastering so please be gentle with me.

I have brick, then cavity wall insulation and then Celcon blocks

On one wall will be kitchen units and a cooker etc. THIS IS FOR MY OWN HOUSE. I DON'T WANT TO CUT CORNERS. I've read other posts that discuss plastering council houses that might get ruined etc. That will not be the case here. I want to make sure this is done to a good spec. I cannot stress this enough.

Originally I was thinking of having the walls bonded (sand & cement) and then skimmed. A plasterer has asked me why don't I have it hardwalled. From a small amount of research it looks as though hardwall is ok on Celcon blocks.

Can someone please advise me which I should get done. Is hardwall so much better? I am strongly leaning towards bonding as I've been told it's a stronger finish and as I'm

I'm not worried about which is quicker and easier for the plasterer. I want to make sure that what I'm having done is best for me.

Again, if it makes any difference, kitchen units will be fitted into these walls.

The bricklayer has recommended the bonding method (Leighton Buzzard and Cement) and then having it skimmed.

Adrian

personally I would go for plasterboard all day long. If applied correctly with sufficient dabs far less chance of cracking in the future than backing coats of any type. Also better acoustic and insulation properties etc.

As for backing coats you want hardwall, not bonding nor browning nor s&c either imo.

But most importantly you need the correct plasterer the rest then is immaterial my friend!!!

Hi all

I have had an extension built and it is now time to have the walls plastered. I have been told of two different methods. Bonding (Browning) or Hardwall.

I'm not a plasterer and have no experience in plastering so please be gentle with me.

On one wall will be kitchen units and a cooker etc. THIS IS FOR MY OWN HOUSE. I DON'T WANT TO CUT CORNERS. I've read other posts that discuss plastering council houses that might get ruined etc. That will not be the case here. I want to make sure this is done to a good spec. I cannot stress this enough.

Originally I was thinking of having the walls bonded (sand & cement) and then skimmed. A plasterer has asked me why don't I have it hardwalled. From a small amount of research it looks as though hardwall is ok on Celcon blocks.

Can someone please advise me which I should get done. Is hardwall so much better? I am strongly leaning towards bonding as I've been told it's a stronger finish and as I'm

I'm not worried about which is quicker and easier for the plasterer. I want to make sure that what I'm having done is best for me.

Again, if it makes any difference, kitchen units will be fitted into these walls.

The bricklayer has recommended the bonding method (Leighton Buzzard and Cement) and then having it skimmed.

Adrian

Same as what @ zombie said go for plasterboard and skim use a thermal board as well better for u value .

But if I ever use a backing it's sand and Cement I go for .

Where are you based there are loads of plasterers on here who would probably help you out and point you in right direction

Agree with zombie, I would dab with plenty of adhesive with these blocks.
Hardwall is the other option, I spent my first ten years of plastering with render and skim. But not on these blocks as it can crack badly and I've even seen it fully delaminates from the wall so wouldn't suggest that. Bonding isn't for these blocks either as its for low suction

You definitely want to use one of the methods....(y)

Hi all

Adrian
Plasterboard and skim is best.
Simple but always remember to tip the plasterer 15-20% when he's done but don't tip the other tradesman.

It's an unspoken rule in the trade.

Float and skim the kitchen but dab the rest.
What about if the electrician has his cables clips and boxes sticking out a mile..and the bricks are like the leaning tower or plumber comes in thinking oh sod it I just bang me big pipe clips there and let the plasterer sort it out.?

What about if the electrician has his cables clips and boxes sticking out a mile..and the bricks are like the leaning tower or plumber comes in thinking oh sod it I just bang me big pipe clips there and let the plasterer sort it out.?

I could get it sorted and flat with boxes still cleaned out but maybe others couldnt....?

plasterboard and skim if the blockwork cracks it will be hidden by the plasterboard.
hardwall and skim. a good backing coat but if the blockwork cracks so will the plaster.
sand and cement went out with the ark !

No mate, we knew a fair few brickys who went, and my old man got asked but never did. I have used a fair bit of mp75 though with the G5 going back 10 years ago if that counts lol [emoji23][emoji106]
thought you was a lad my mate had worked with over there in 99' from brum

Same as what @ zombie said go for plasterboard and skim use a thermal board as well better for u value .

But if I ever use a backing it's sand and Cement I go for .

Where are you based there are loads of plasterers on here who would probably help you out and point you in right direction
I'm in NW London

thought you was a lad my mate had worked with over there in 99' from brum
Not guilty mate, I wish I had done a bit over there it was ment to have been just like
Auf Wiedersehen pet, and some of the lads made good coin [emoji106]

both mate rau putz by hand mp75 maxit with machine mainly g4 and some silo feed machines same as holland loved it never done much external tbh

both mate rau putz by hand mp75 maxit with machine mainly g4 and some silo feed machines same as holland loved it never done much external tbh
Top job mate, I quiet liked the mp75 did quiet a lot of houses in it but took forever to dry and trying to get two big gauges on in a day was a mission

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.