Bonding in finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
@essexandy mentioned ages ago about doing this as it gives finish a bit more body and i thought yeah right...

Today i am a changed man...

Makes the first coat soooo much easier when having to go a bit deeper...

Why did i not discover this till now... ffs...

Danny

Last edited:
@essexandy mentioned ages ago about doing this as it gives finish a bit more body and i thought yeah right...

Danny
how did the end result turn out dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny

Great for using over pre-gritted walls Danny :RpS_thumbup:

Also, if you're floating boards/concrete, add a few scoops of finish to bonding to give it a much better chance of going off in time to skim it the same day :RpS_thumbup:

i thought it was a cardinal sin to mix 2 different plasters together, :RpS_scared: according to british gysum-- you rebels

3 hail Marys and an our father :RpS_laugh::RpS_lol:

absolutely brilliant :)

First coat was the mutts nutts and the finsh was great... I will upload pics when I get the camera home tomorrow :)

Cant wait to skim the last little wall and 2 reveals tomorrow... and that is it no more left to do in my place...lol

I always add bonding (if I have some) to the first coat on artex over skim,it does have better body to it and I would think it gives it slightly more flex to help prevent those hairlines. In fact I don't recall a complaint about hairlines when it's been done this way.

Thistle bonding is a great product. I had to build out a bowed painted wall which I had pregritted with kontakt at about 40mm to nothing and it all pulled in a treat same day.

It's been done since day . ,only when you need more depth though as it will slow down the whole process,just done five boarded flats ,I wouldn't use bonding in this instance, old rough walls ,yes definitely or artex ,all the time,

Is that right - add few handfuls of bonding into skim guage so it covers nicely over artex (1st coat) so artex pattern will not show thru?

I normally bond it and skim in afternoon so this would be handy .... Bonding hangs around and always thought it cud be a problem putting a full coat of skim on top and it going off before it , thats about 50/50 not a few hand fuls btw

Also should mention i use the bonding and multi for sparky patches etc , just never used any bonding when skimming always one mix 2 coats , people may say other wise but way i have been taught and the way i do it works skimming :) read the bag its the way it says just gota be snappy if doin abit .

This is a class idea . Just so i know i have got this right. You mix a 50/50 batch first coat it then lay it in with a normal mix of multi so the bonding dose not show?? Also the bonding slows down the setting time?? Im in the middle of doing a full house of artex celings and might give this a try. 3 of the celings are about 3 bags size. ( 25 / 30 ) sqm

Yeah pretty much...

I dont think i went as far as 50/50 though.... i am new to this so cant really give any advice...

I finished some walls that were getting papered the other week with bonding in it 3 scoops of finish to 1 bonding and it troweled up a treat infact you could of painted it

And if you want to speed up the setting time of bonding and cement to it the more you add the quicker it goes

It's great when skirting boards are removed and leave the bottom needing floting out or sockets need filling before skimming

Am trying it on my wall in bedroom (as decided to plaster the whole room as have done iwi on one wall. Took few big handfuls of bonding in the guage of skim , slap on 1st coat - can see perlite and spread very nicely , and can see it sets bit slower than neat multie, gives me time to clean up and a cuppa! Will do second coat of neat multi when 1st coat pulls in. Will let u know how it gets on, Many thanks you guys - I had to admit - I have loads loads to learn!
we all have space to learn something new,the day i decide that i don't need to learn anymore is the day I should give up plastering.:RpS_thumbup:

And if you want to speed up the setting time of bonding and cement to it the more you add the quicker it goes

Try mixing a bit of limelight finish with the bonding depending on how fast you want it to set you can put more limelight in. Cement tends to set too brittle. Not recommended on boards or pva surfaces.

I'd have called you all rough hunts a year or so ago but site work has taught me its a fool thats not open to new ways of doing things. I'll be adding this to my must try list

Status
Not open for further replies.