Bonding cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

Morning all, just a quick one.

Did my first internal job since March this week and used some bonding to fill out skirts and a few chases, wet the areas down slightly beforehand, filled out and left overnight.

Came back the following day to find all the bonding has cracked up and along the skirts it dropped out.

This has happened before earlier in the year but I put it down to a bad bag or older gear.

Any tips on stopping this as I'm worried it will now crack on the finish.

Iv never PVA'd prior to bonding and we all know how difficult it is to get skrim to stick to dried bonding, anyone else having same issues?

Morning all, just a quick one.

Did my first internal job since March this week and used some bonding to fill out skirts and a few chases, wet the areas down slightly beforehand, filled out and left overnight.

Came back the following day to find all the bonding has cracked up and along the skirts it dropped out.

This has happened before earlier in the year but I put it down to a bad bag or older gear.

Any tips on stopping this as I'm worried it will now crack on the finish.

Iv never PVA'd prior to bonding and we all know how difficult it is to get skrim to stick to dried bonding, anyone else having same issues?

It might be because you never pvad it. It's happened to me before just pva the areas that need bonding and go again

Should have pva'd it pal as bonding is for low suction .... its dryer to quick...... I always use one coat for patches like that as it never cracks and can put on 20mm in one coat plus it's easy to seal prior to skimming ....

Cracking from drying out to quick. Dries out to quickly because of too much suction and/or bad bag. Why did it drop out. Was it out on very heavy. Was the wall dusty.

Looks to have pulled in too quick then, like said areas was wet down.

Just looked at BG tech spec on bonding and couldn't see anywhere about PVAing before application, just says to wet area down and leave for 10 mins.

I don't think iv ever PVA'd chasers, just seems only now it's caused a problem, it skimmed up fine btw

Looks to have pulled in too quick then, like said areas was wet down.

Just looked at BG tech spec on bonding and couldn't see anywhere about PVAing before application, just says to wet area down and leave for 10 mins.

I don't think iv ever PVA'd chasers, just seems only now it's caused a problem, it skimmed up fine btw

BG don't no how to make a strong enough to hold there product.. They no s**t all

@mac...
I always use the rule of water before hardwall/browning...

pva before bonding...

bonding will nearly always crack/craze on dusty brickwork etc without pva...

You used the wrong plaster bonding is for low suction so always cracks and pops on brickwork you should of used hard wall, tough coat or browning.

I find like Clemo says its sound if you keep put moisture on it & skim straight away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbh @mac...seems a strange question from an experianced guy given your into spraying modern renders and what not...and seem to take a genuine interest in specs and materials and what not...

not a dig just a strangun...I think

tbh @mac...seems a strange question from an experianced guy given your into spraying modern renders and what not...and seem to take a genuine interest in specs and materials and what not...

not a dig just a strangun...I think

not taken as a dig mate, obviously i understand about suction and what not.

i was wondering if BG had changed the ingredients, iv never PVA'd before bonding and never worked with guys who have tbh, always just given areas a good wet down and never had any comebacks.

if its wrong, its wrong, happily take that and hold my hands up

not taken as a dig mate, obviously i understand about suction and what not.

i was wondering if BG had changed the ingredients, iv never PVA'd before bonding and never worked with guys who have tbh, always just given areas a good wet down and never had any comebacks.

if its wrong, its wrong, happily take that and hold my hands up

it states on the bag of bonding pva first. the makeup of bonding has changed, bonding to be applied up to 2mm thick.
use hardwall for dubbing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.