Bonding coat-help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveohim

I have plastered a bonding coat over some damaged walls but about 2 hours later cracks started to appear in it. I gave it a good coat of pva. And it still seems to have a bit of moisture in it as it's still quite soft. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Just where the old wall has crumpled away showing the vertical slats on one wall and brick on the other, it's a corner of 2 walls

I have plastered a bonding coat over some damaged walls but about 2 hours later cracks started to appear in it. I gave it a good coat of pva. And it still seems to have a bit of moisture in it as it's still quite soft. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

You need to damp the substrate a bit more. Suction control is an important factor :RpS_thumbup:
I'm not too sure what you mean about 'vertical slats' though :RpS_confused:

Is the original plaster loose, is there gloss paint on the original. If you plaster over loose plaster you will end up with new loose plaster, there needs to be an even area of the right amount of suction, have you thought of calling in a plasterer? Some diy projects end up costing twice as much because you end up getting the pros in later, I've tried fixing my own car in the past and had my fingers burned, now I take it to the dealer and the job is done once!

I think u hoyed it in flat ish and left it soft and jus never went over it again which would cause it to firecrack well sometimes would , if ive left a patch ive forgot about it can happen ?

Sorry meant horizontal thin bits of wood, I gave it plenty of pva, it's just stone wall on one wall and those bits of wood on the other, the original plaster has crumbled showing bare brick. Don't want to call in a plasterer because a. I can't afford it and b. This is where I'm going to learn plastering so I will do it until it's right.

I've just tried it again on another internal corner of 2 walls and within 20 mins there were cracks, but this time I gave it 2 coats of pva to make sure it was wet. It just seems to be corners of walls as all the other bits I did was fine

Status
Not open for further replies.