Bondind coat,then multi finish,then what? upto 15mm gap to fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas1

Hello everyone

I'm trying to get answer until now with no results.

I've done tiling on uneven wall. Wall has existing plaster (finished with multifinish).

My tiles plus trim are at 130cm high, then rest I want to have painted walls.

So... from plaster to back of a tile I have distance of 15mm. I would like to fill it, but Grypoc C. Service ppl say I can't put any extra plaster on the top of existing one.

I know that I could replaster with multifinish, but it would give me only 3mm.

Can I fill it with bonding coat? If its stupid question, sorry,

Just never experienced someting like that.

Two walls are fine after tiling, 2 need extra 15mm plaster.

Any advices?

Thanks

Lucas

I would either dab it, 9.5 plus drywall will give you 15mm, tight but fine. Use a decent waterproof adhesive to fix the tiles.
Or key up the existing if solid, bond it, no need to skim if being tiled.

If in a shower area use aquapanel but its 12.5mm, so a good PU adhesive to fix as the bead will be appropriate.

Rock on !

Do you mean there's a gap between the tiles and the wall?

Could you flaunch it with grout so it has a nice white chamfered edge to paint up to?

I would either dab it, 9.5 plus drywall will give you 15mm, tight but fine. Use a decent waterproof adhesive to fix the tiles.
Or key up the existing if solid, bond it, no need to skim if being tiled.

If in a shower area use aquapanel but its 12.5mm, so a good PU adhesive to fix as the bead will be appropriate.

Rock on !

I thought about it, but yes, you're right, it would be a bit tight!

Ive forgotten to deduct a few mm for tile adhesive ( on one wall I haven't finished tile marble sheet tiles)
wall.jpg

..... so in fact I have just 12mm to fill.

9mm plasterboard + board adhesive + multifinish on the top of that... Too much then.

So after reading all your advises I should put some backing plaster again and then finish it with a finishing plaster, right?

Kind regards!

Would be a good joke if I havent mentioned that Ive finish my tiling on 130cm high level and finished it already with plastic tile trim.

Nice try ;)
Hahaha wasn't a nice try mate? Just a laff.....!! I was meaning tile the rest of the wall??? Just bond it out then skim it to the level you want, keep calm:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Why dont use one coat plaster you can put this on very thick.

That's my technical problem, lack of knowledge about building materials.

I know quite well how to plaster walls. Can do multifinish nice and flat, but I don't know how much can they take.

When you call to Grypoc Company they tell you one coat of backing, plus two coats of multifinish.

They say "NO" to two or more coats of backing, or more than 8mm thickness in one coat.

If multifinish can accept bonding coat and then again multifinish, then fine! Im saved!

I don't want to knock down whole plaster. Simple waste of time :RpS_bored:

Your initial post is vague and sketchy to say the least , then after a few posts you post a picture then get uppity when some one has a go , maybe you should of been clearer with your initial post and included the picture there and we wouldn't have to go through all this rigmarole to get the answer you need, as henry said use one coat plaster on a keyed /primed background then tile. don't use plasterboard ffs!!, or prime and dub out using a modified render!

I couldn't get the prob on first read, but why not just build out your depth, with a backin coat even in 2 coats if need be! then finish to your level you want? Don't know what all the bg customer service advice was about??? As far as I know bg ain't very good at customer service:RpS_sneaky:

Your initial post is vague and sketchy to say the least , then after a few posts you post a picture then get uppity when some one has a go , maybe you should of been clearer with your initial post and included the picture there and we wouldn't have to go through all this rigmarole to get the answer you need, as henry said use one coat plaster on a keyed /primed background then tile. don't use plasterboard ffs!!, or prime and dub out using a modified render!

Well I've just gone through my first post and I think I've described the matter quite well.

Obviously a photo is very helpful, otherwise we can use only our imagination.

Sorry for not having a photo straight away. I haven't had it ready + had to go to work.

With whole respect and without offence but I've mentioned three times now that I've finished tiling. Just two rows of little marble left on one wall. So no point to talk about tiling at this stage.

Kind regards

Fatarm, yes, for you experienced and pro is so obvious, off you go, build it up with a bonding, no prob,

But I have experienced only applying backing plaster and multifinish + plasterboard & multi on walls and ceilling.

Never had to fill 12mm or so to existing finishing plaster.

So again, lack of technical knowledge what as I think BG customer service ppl don't represent too.

And BIG BIG BIG respect for you that you know much much more about their materials than themselves.

Sorry mate you've described the problem, that well, you had to do it in two
Separate threads??? Seems like a big prob job to you but to be honest it seems quite simple, now I think I get it. One coat,six coat or whatever you want? Build it out in scratched layers if need be and finish to what level you want? Oh and ask bg customer service if the sell bags of humour and get yourself some!! Keep calm :RpS_thumbsup:

Sorry mate you've described the problem, that well, you had to do it in two
Separate threads??? Seems like a big prob job to you but to be honest it seems quite simple, now I think I get it. One coat,six coat or whatever you want? Build it out in scratched layers if need be and finish to what level you want? Oh and ask bg customer service if the sell bags of humour and get yourself some!! Keep calm :RpS_thumbsup:

I've got your irony. Ok.

One thread was for Bonding coat only.

I didn't have any intention not to be a specific and in one thread ask for 5 different questions!

This thread is about a wall which got to be pack up with extra 12-13mm.

Yes, I've got nice answers.

Second one was only about backing plaster and specification of the material. If people ask I've got to reply, that's why some infos appeared twice on both threads.

I hope it's clear know.

Fatarm, yes, for you experienced and pro is so obvious, off you go, build it up with a bonding, no prob,But I have experienced only applying backing plaster and multifinish + plasterboard & multi on walls and ceilling.Never had to fill 12mm or so to existing finishing plaster.So again, lack of technical knowledge what as I think BG customer service ppl don't represent too.And BIG BIG BIG respect for you that you know much much more about their materials than themselves.
Hey slow down, mate ! Easy now, you've asked, you've been advised, you've been invited for a laff also. Take your pick on the advice it's all good cause as you say "pro's". Hope you get it done in you're bathroom, really do. But I don't know muc much much better than bg but I just know? We have played with their products for years rather than some rep on the end if a phone sellin it!!:rolleyes)

bg customer service if the sell bags of humour and get yourself some!! Keep calm :RpS_thumbsup:

Whatever you say I think that we can expect from manufacturer to have decent knowledge about his products.

It's a bit funny that you and other colleagues can suggest much more than the company ppl.

They should be experts.

Ok, that's enough thank you for your time.

Good night!
. Nite nite mate, I'll be up early to fone bg tomorrow I need some advice on bondin- backin coat levels for finish and paint applications and keying layer advice???? Hope i don't get a numskull:RpS_scared:

End of thread please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucas mate just stick a 3/8s board on the wall with very tight adhesive and skim, itll be ok and if it comes just infront of the back of the tiles youll be running a neat bead of silicone around the top anyway wont you?

I think if a "D.I.Y er".
A PB would be ideal(easiest), nice and tight to the wall, like I say he could use a PU adhesive (or butter DWC tight) then skim tight.(very tight).

Rock on !

I think if a "D.I.Y er".
A PB would be ideal(easiest), nice and tight to the wall, like I say he could use a PU adhesive (or butter DWC tight) then skim tight.(very tight).

Rock on !
i dont think he'll have a clue what ya on about

Status
Not open for further replies.