Boarding over Artex ceiling containing Asbestos

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read Mark Thanks.

Am i right in thinking that there was some advise given a few yrs ago stating only dangerous pre-dating a certain yr etc?

Either way ive got a H/S/L starting tom thats a thick artex that requires a scrape before bonding and skim and also just finished 2 artex ceilings today on another job that i scraped. GREAT!

Zombie

i was chatting to a guy a couple of months back who used to work for an asbestos company and had now set up his own. i asked him about artex and he told me it was nothing to worry about. he said that when the gear was knocked up it was a problem, as it was artex dust and asbestos dusk in the same bag, which you would obviously breathe it. but once it has been mixed with water, due to the way it all binds together, the dust from the gone off artex is not small enough or whatever to cause the same damage as asbestos on its own.

and as said above, i would imagine that all the rest of the **** we all breathe in on a daily basis is worth worrying about as much, if not more.

and for freed, if your concerned about breathing in in, yet allow your clothes to be covered in it, which i assume you take off and wash without a mask, your wasting your time. there have been several cases about peoples mums and wives dying from breathing in asbestos dust from washing their husbands/sons work clothes.

really ima go get every item of work clothing and tell her to wash it:RpS_biggrin:

when the trouble with asbestos was first talked about it was the blue asbestos that was considered dangerous. that was used as insulation, and a few years later it was also the asbestos cement sheets,, artex, cullamix [tyrolean, certain colours] as well although they only contained a small amount of asbestos

Is there a way to board over Artex ceiling without disturbing the Artex. E.g. to find the joists?

Maybe using a good quality multi meter to locate joists, so no need to bash holes in ceiling?

go spend £15 on one of these ffs
88346.jpg

Whilst I was on an asbestos awareness course I was told that there was only 0.002% asbestos in artex and in most cases you are unable to measure the asbestos level in artex

Status
Not open for further replies.