Board & Tape only or skim?

Members online

Brimstone

Knew it would happen one day, I've got to patch repair around a fireplace where the entire house is this "new" board and tape, no skim finish. It's been around for years but I've just not had to deal with it personally before.

If I D&D a new bit of board in and finish the edges with easifil I'll be flush with the thickness of the original paint, so the finish on the new board will be proud?
And do they just put emulsion straight onto plain old plasterboard? (Householder will paint, no decorator to catch my errors).

I could just board and skim but that will delay the rest of the job.

Knew it would happen one day, I've got to patch repair around a fireplace where the entire house is this "new" board and tape, no skim finish. It's been around for years but I've just not had to deal with it personally before.

If I D&D a new bit of board in and finish the edges with easifil I'll be flush with the thickness of the original paint, so the finish on the new board will be proud?
And do they just put emulsion straight onto plain old plasterboard? (Householder will paint, no decorator to catch my errors).

I could just board and skim but that will delay the rest of the job.
Can't you just feather it in?

Can't you just feather it in?
On a largeish dead flat wall any feathering around a relatively small area like a fireplace opening stands out. If its a chimney breast then yes you can, or go full width and usually hide the horizontal line with a beam.
I've priced for board and skim, I'll talk it over with the client, maybe sand both paint and skim on the joint.
Any chance of a pic?
Not at the mo', right now its just a flat living room wall with a ripped out hole where there used to be a revolting fireplace and gas fire. And a big bay window on the side to show any imperfections.

What's new board .
Builder fetched some boards other day and he had a broken board on top. Said they had gave it him . It looked white and seemed chalky . Might have even been 15mm . Never seen one before

Not sure what your is. My ref to "new" was a wry ref to dry lining. When I started nobody had heard of of it and D&D/skim was a bit of a new thing.