Board Finish

Staff online

Members online

U cannot use it over anything.
It is for low to medium suction backgrounds..
It can craze in certain circumstances if you put it over bonding.
Look at plaster selector guide.

Good old carlite finish hung around forever on overskim,tarmac limelight on lime and sand on restoration job bizzare stuff only used once could still trowel up next day,you boys are spoilt for choice nowadays

Good old carlite finish hung around forever on overskim,tarmac limelight on lime and sand on restoration job bizzare stuff only used once could still trowel up next day,you boys are spoilt for choice nowadays
Correct,,,,the old boys know best.
Grey stucco as well to rocket plaster until they stopped it.

Yeah carlite was nice stuff on high suction and the two spreads i first worked with set the angle beads up with it. Remember 40kg browning?
Not sure when carlite bonding first came out, also when 8x4 boards were taped together you had to pull the one side off then pick one board up and snap. Unless you were macho and carry the two! :loco:

Hessian scrim and cotton scrim having to bed them on before you started. Mixing by hand. Christmas and we moan now how tough this game is!!!!

Yeah carlite was nice stuff on high suction and the two spreads i first worked with set the angle beads up with it. Remember 40kg browning?
Not sure when carlite bonding first came out, also when 8x4 boards were taped together you had to pull the one side off then pick one board up and snap. Unless you were macho and carry the two! :loco:
Oh yeah good gear loved the stuff,40 kg and50kg cement couldn't hardly lift em as a lad used to load house out with labourer never split8x4 straight in and upstairs I used to play f**k killed me,and sadly I remember browning hod bigger than normal one labourer was a savage though absolutely bonkers,we used to board ceiling with9.5 boards then bonding coat then skim, apparently gaffer said was cheaper he was tight as hell made no sense to me12.5 boards were around stupidity,oh the good old days young uns aint got a clue!!!!!!

U cannot use it over anything.
It is for low to medium suction backgrounds..
It can craze in certain circumstances if you put it over bonding.
Look at plaster selector guide.
Have to disagree with you there mate. I've used boardy over all sort of backgrounds and never had it craze. If its a high suction background its gonna be treated to control suction anyway

Was not to bad when dry but was laying all the tops on first then back round for the bottoms as it could be a bit unpredictable if not sure how long ago it had been put on

Ahhh right so they already floated and you was skimming after?

Tbh if if floated I'd let it cure over night then skim next day but that's the 2 products I mentioned if I was returning few days later and had dried through would probably be tempted to give it a fine mist down of water!

Can't say for sure if you could do the same with the 1 you used I'm assuming you could...

Sometimes when you can tell your going yo get caught out put a coat of skim and then use a wet spongeflost to iron it out if its tearing and won't let u trowel...

Then just start again Bud!

Tbh if if floated I'd let it cure over night then skim next day but that's the 2 products I mentioned if I was returning few days later and had dried through would probably be tempted to give it a fine mist down of water!

Can't say for sure if you could do the same with the 1 you used I'm assuming you could...

Sometimes when you can tell your going yo get caught out put a coat of skim and then use a wet spongeflost to iron it out if its tearing and won't let u trowel...

Yeah they did all the floating and them me the skimming...they were my first jobs so were invaluable at the time but all the work was about 40 miles away so phased it out once I got going, still do some bits for them f its a bit more in my direction

carlite browning, bonding and metal lathing first appeared about 1965. replacing thistle browning that had to be mixed with sand 3 to 1.
the carlite plasterers used in ireland are not the same as the carlite used in uk.

Have to disagree with you there mate. I've used boardy over all sort of backgrounds and never had it craze. If its a high suction background its gonna be treated to control suction anyway
Look at the thread,,,did anyone say about controlling the suction,
Been using boardy for 35 years,,,,why is it not to be used on bonding.
I have done ii.
Sorry mate are u recommending a plaster to go on top of a undercoat that bg say no.

Been using it for the past week on a house im doing, gone over fresh boarded ceilings, fresh sand cement, some bonding (same day ) and 2 old skimmed walls. very nice stuff seems to harden off nice for the final trowel.and the finish looks good.

Technique isn't any different, all I found myself doing was leaving it for a little longer after the 3rd pass over.

Only £5 a bag in all!

I think some are not getting my point.
I use boardy on different surfaces,,u got to know when..
It does not like drying out on certain substrate too quickly.
Going back a house was done by a squad.
Old sand lime walls,Bose stuff removed etc,,
They skimmed with bonding,,,then board finish,,,
The first 3 rooms crazed,the walls dried out too quick.they then done remaining rooms with bonding then multi.no issues.

I find boardy shoots off but once a splash of water goes on it it brings It bk to life..not a fan of it myself

I like it as it sets quicker than multi.
Though some lads say they dont c any in merchants.

It was 50kg mate I think as was finish and cement etc the browning bags dwarfed me as an apprentice

I can remember the 50kg bags how long are they gone am 33 no wonder I can't spell I've been on a building site since I was about 10

Float in the morning,skim it in the afternoon,unless it's lamitex or sand and cement,with board finish,that there multi finish is for puffs and girlies

I remember Carlite finish black and white bag? And the boards being taped together red and black stripes and green and black stripes I think on tape that held two together tear one side off and wiggle it to snap it the other side , also remember the podger and bath no drill then knocking up hardwall and browning .I remember using some 9ft boards on one job picked a damp one up and it snapped all round me in the mud like I was in a box! And the bastards stood laughing at me cause me rigger boot had come off in the mud shin deep so I was stuck[emoji3] they rescued me after about 5 mins haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk