Board finish or Multi finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

widdow

Good morning all

I am starting a bedroom soon and I have a couple of bags of board finish left over from my job on friday, would you recommend using these on normal walls or sound I use multi finish which was the way I was taught?

With regards to the walls, these are nearly flat, I thought I'd mention that incase it made a difference.

Thanks

Hi Gary

Yes I am re-skimming and the walls is pretty flat.

Why would you use board finish, why is it better then multi finish, which is the way I was taught?

Thank you in advance

board finish is exactly what it says it is, for boards, however with a good pva you can get away with it as a one off.

i always thought set time on board was 2 1/2 hours, 3 hours on multi, in fact didnt they used to print the set time on the bags...but now it says 1.5 hours on em both...??cant figure that out? board finish just seems to go a bit quicker on first coat and i reckon the grain is a bit sharper than multi which goes on a bit creamier...lot of people i know just use board for everything...personally im a multi man...

Hello Mate
An old plasterer told me to use board for everything as it looks better, takes alittle longer to go off and is generally better quality than multi, took his advice and never had a problem.
Johnathon

From an old plasterer :( It really goes back to the days of carlite finish and thistle board finish (pre multi-finish) and the reason for using board finish was that it set with little or suction. Finish liked a bit of suction to help it onits way or it had a tendancy to set all in one go. Also I find that I can get a better finish with the board, after toooooo many years that I care to remember I have never had any problems with board on reskims etc.

does any one add a few handfulls of bonding to fisnish on a 1st coat of a reskim to make it tuffer and helps stop cracks?
if found this helps loads.. some times there is 1 plaster iv hurd does this every time and even on Board stud walls to make them stronher...only a small amound of bonding i guess its just to get some of the fiber in bonding in the mix..

Status
Not open for further replies.