board ceiling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rycarr

Went to do a quote, they said the last plasterer they had in said the ceiling needed to be reboarded, there was a crack in ceiling but nothing major bit unsure myself when do you have to reboard? looking at it today I wouldn't think it would have to be.

Give them the option, boarding it guarantees it doesnt crack again, scrim crack + skim over cant guarantee it wont come through again, up to them then, they'll prob go with cheaper option

Jobs like this I always board so the crack is in the middle of a board so it can't come back again.

One customer asked us to sort the cracks out in their bedroom ceiling, they didn't want it plastering.. We cut the cracks out into a v the flat of a Stanley knife and filled with flexible filler, then flattened with a brush and trowel - job done. Cracks haven't come back.

We said the only way to ensure they don't come back was to over-board. We don't guarantee they won't come back scrimmed and over-skimmed ad leave the choice up to them.

Think this customer is a bit mental she wanted most of the house replastered I gave her a quote she asked me to email it to her fair enough, she's been emailing me all night adding bits in, wants me to do a room by room breakdown of costs, materials I just priced it as an overall job day rate she wants a spreadsheet detailing everything thinking its a wind up.

Seems like it's a job you don't want,the crack could be caused by a moving /springing joist,the ceiling before hand might not of had staggered boards, if you re board make sure you stagger them and fit them across the joists

if the cracks minimal size, you can tape and fill ( very rare it will crack thru that..) a newly boarded ceiling cannot be crack free guaranteed, if theres movement, then the cracks will come thru the joints anyway, depends how bad the cracks are mate... boarding out is the better option, but obviously more expensive, if the crack can be treated as above, then it will be more cost effective and may secure you the job...

Think this customer is a bit mental she wanted most of the house replastered I gave her a quote she asked me to email it to her fair enough, she's been emailing me all night adding bits in, wants me to do a room by room breakdown of costs, materials I just priced it as an overall job day rate she wants a spreadsheet detailing everything thinking its a wind up.

she is considering only to have some rooms reskimmed. where is the problem?

This 'break the price down' nonsense gets right on my t1ts. Fair enough if she wants a price per room, but beyond that no chance. You can't get the price of a new sofa, tin of beans or whatever broken down into , materials, transport costs, shop labour charges, stocking, wastage, profit etc. You'd also get some funny looks if you asked her to break down where/how she got the money to pay for the work. The job costs £xxx to do as a whole house, it costs £xxx for this room and £xxx for that room etc.

The other point about breaking down your costs is who is going to have access to that information? There's nothing to prevent the 'customer' passing it onto a relative or the next plasterer in to quote.

So for me the answer is always "This is the price for me to do the work as described.".

she is considering only to have some rooms reskimmed. where is the problem?
the problem as i see it is ... if he's pricing a a whole per job the cost per room will probably be more if done separately plus what the **** does it have to do with her how much HE gets his materials for

the problem as i see it is ... if he's pricing a a whole per job the cost per room will probably be more if done separately plus what the **** does it have to do with her how much HE gets his materials for

when i work the quote out i do as individual rooms then add the lot together. the customer can then please themselves and their pockets what they have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.