board adhesive!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cumface

I cut new boards to size to dat&dab onto an old kitchen extension because walls were badly plastered. They are out by inch and half in places so thought best to board rather than to bond it then skim.

All boards cut to size, mixed up full 25kg of board adhesive. Let it sit for few mins as stated on bag. Mixed again for 1 min. Dabbed enough onto wall for one board and by the me and the wife went to put the board in place, the adhesive had hardened!

Is it supposed to set so quickly? I now have a new yellow mixing bucket filled full of hard adhesive and blotches on the wall that my board won't stick to and my wife looking at me as I'm simple :(

Spunkface is back..prob out of date bag as pug says..how did ur rendering Job go? I hope ur not charging for ur services in doing these jobs

Spunkface is back..prob out of date bag as pug says..how did ur rendering Job go? I hope ur not charging for ur services in doing these jobs

Only scratched the wall, haven't had the time to finish it with the weather and my wife wanting the inside of the house finished before the wall.

I'm not charging for these jobs because it's our own house.

Sometimes you just get a crap bag!

Im going to bring them back to see if they'll change the 4 bags. I know bags can't be returned but with them being bad, I'm hoping they change them for new good bags.

If they don't exchange them, legally are they OK to not to or do I have rights concerning this sale?

Only scratched the wall, haven't had the time to finish it with the weather and my wife wanting the inside of the house finished before the wall.

I'm not charging for these jobs because it's our own house.
You going to post up some pictures then?

I cut new boards to size to dat&dab onto an old kitchen extension because walls were badly plastered. They are out by inch and half in places so thought best to board rather than to bond it then skim.

All boards cut to size, mixed up full 25kg of board adhesive. Let it sit for few mins as stated on bag. Mixed again for 1 min. Dabbed enough onto wall for one board and by the me and the wife went to put the board in place, the adhesive had hardened!

Is it supposed to set so quickly? I now have a new yellow mixing bucket filled full of hard adhesive and blotches on the wall that my board won't stick to and my wife looking at me as I'm simple :(

I was using board adhesive sticking boards to an old cottage wall about a month or 2 before xmass. I though the stuff I had went off a bit quick but by fcuk, not as quick as your stuff.

IMO and its already been mentioned, the bags were out of date or lying in damp conditions! I've been caught out like this before buying bags of skim out of woodies on a Sunday when builders merchants have been closed. Mixed the stuff, threw a few hawk fulls on a ceiling and went to take few more scoops out only for it to harden in the bucket! What you describe is very similar to what happened to me.

Did you pick the bags of the pallet yourself or did someone in builders merchant get them for you. If its the latter, they maybe took the chance in giving you them knowing they where fcuked because you might not be a regular. These fcukers have been known for this through the years where I am. They do it on the chance you might not come back.

How long would be to much mechanical mixing. In all my years plastering I've never seen this and that's with some laborers mixing skim for ages.

I done a 4 bag mix early last year and was mixing it for ages went off within 10 minutes mate

Why did you knock it up twice?

Adhesive is one of those products similar to bonding that I find you have to mix quickly and get it used, you can't bring it back.

Basically you knocked it up, let it set off setting and then pumped a load of air into it by mixing again which may have sped the process up.

Just my opinion like, not gospel

Next time spunk in the mix not on your face and that will make the adhesive more workable and will give u more time .

Why did you knock it up twice?

Adhesive is one of those products similar to bonding that I find you have to mix quickly and get it used, you can't bring it back.

Basically you knocked it up, let it set off setting and then pumped a load of air into it by mixing again which may have sped the process up.

Just my opinion like, not gospel

Says on the back of the bag. Mix, let sit for 5 mins then mix again. My brother says tiling adhesive is Luke this, mix,let sit then mix again. Its supposed to be a better bond if mixed this way.

Still cnt believe ur username is cumface lol

Got the name from, I was just after knocking one out in the bathroom while I was looking in the mirror. That was just before I joined here so I thought it was an appropriate name for. Do you not like it?

Ive never mixed something then let sit then mixed again unless Ive had to go to the van to get more gear.

We've all had probs with stuff going off too quick and as said can be a variety of reasons! Like hail Ive never had probs over mixing things though!

I've seen gear get too much drill alright had a labourer once lazy f**k*r would stand looking into bucket till he saw my board getting empty and only then stop and empty out, think it eventually heats the skim up which speeds up the set. Anyway when labourer went home I open ed. up drill and detached the neutral, next morning when drill wouldnt start told him it needed service and introduced him to an old plunger I had in van, problem solved.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Remember i had to mix with a plunger and had no labourer f**k**g hard times lol
That's half of reason y most of old spreads r f**k*d not cos of plastering nowadays can u imagine how hard it must of been back in day wen most s**t was 2 coat work and u had a rake and a bath as ur mixer then a plunger to mix skim..hats off u old timers as dont think I cud of done it

That's half of reason y most of old spreads r f**k*d not cos of plastering nowadays can u imagine how hard it must of been back in day wen most s**t was 2 coat work and u had a rake and a bath as ur mixer then a plunger to mix skim..hats off u old timers as dont think I cud of done it

I did all that and I'm only 43!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only did a few times with plunger once or twice when mixer f**k*d up and a few weeks for a bloke who said it was a better mix with plunger had a mixer sat in van c**t

Lol..ive done it once wen I 1st started was labouring for the day on 2 spreads from Barnsley 2 coat work- bath,rake and shovel the bastards..still traumatized to this day..did plunger a few times wen 1st started but not for long

Bike cog on a threaded bar that cut the hands off you, handles were for pussys.
S&c floating every wall in houses (no studs) carried up in a hod

Bike cog on a threaded bar that cut the hands off you, handles were for pussys.
S&c floating every wall in houses (no studs) carried up in a hod

Was It all price in them days kev? Talking as tho ur 70 sox big k lol

Status
Not open for further replies.