Blown Render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carwyncom

Hi

New to the forum. This is my first post.

Ive just purchased my first house. I and have a bit of a damp issue in the kitchen. The kitchen is located in an extension at the back of the house constructed with 9" solid brick walls, with no cavity. The pebble dash render is cracked on the oustside and sounds hollow in the majority of places. I think the damp is caused by water ingress because of the defective render as the tidemarks and salts were above 1.5m high in majority of places.

I plan on removing the render myself. I currently dont have the money to rerender straight away. Would i be better leaving the defective render as is for now? Or would i be better removing it and leaving the bare brick walls exposed to the elements for a few months. The way i see it is the rain gets in behind the render at the moments and gets stuck there and just soaks into the wall. Surly it would be better the remove it?

Any input appreciated

I would leave the render on till your ready to re render. Although hollow in places it will still be giving you some protection. I could be wrong though.

Your better off taking all the render off at least that way the wall is able to breath and with the wind, naturally dry out. As and when you have the money to re-render you can. The hollow render is allowing the water in and then trapping it against the wall forcing it back inside. Once it is off you will be able to see if there are any other issues or just let it dry and your wall inside should dry out too.

If it's practicle, once you've hacked it all off you could sheet it over until you can get it rendered. Stop any more water getting in and still letting air at it to dry out :RpS_thumbup:

@bubbles65 his way is the way to go if leaving it for a time like that still , wont look the nicest but will keep it dry and let it dry out . I would defo sheet it , if u dont have the time at the mo sheet it over the way it is ? U cud just undo the bottom ropes lift the sheet to gutter and hack off as u please ? Cos it may be easy in the hollow bits sure there maybe solid bits to ! Also if there is abit go to b and q ....... Not thru trade counter ...... With the big cheap sds drills and u can bring it bak time and time again ........ Jus say its ur house and u work assss say a chef or what ever u feel best and its DIY lol i dont do this i would buy decent but if its a one off as ur not a plasterer its a trick :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying that ur not a plasterer so jus do what i said at b and q lol i would go for makita or bosch etc but why pay the money in ur circumstance :RpS_thumbup: sorry am on holz if i have spoke any **** lol

Last edited:
Lol @Danny just never adventured with it normally wud sort it out by reposting explaining , very handy when u think about it ! Lol hope ur house is getting on ok in all mate

Also can u see what people have changed how we cant ? @Danny ? Lol bet u wud get sum funny ones :RpS_thumbsup:

Lol @Danny just never adventured with it normally wud sort it out by reposting explaining , very handy when u think about it ! Lol hope ur house is getting on ok in all mate

House is coming along... waiting for stair design and got new windows going in very soon...

I cant seem to find a company that can do me a deal on insulation so looks like I have to pay full wack for that... everything else is going well...

I will posta few updates on plasterers news as it may be of interest to others :)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.