Blown render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

TPF Special Forces
I went to look at a job today where the rendering on two extensions built at separate times have blown. The client has told me that he has had the original render took off and renewed and that has also blown.

Both the walls in question face south although the kitchen extension has 2 sides still intact. The walls are built out of concrete block and the render which has blown is two coat and hard, not the usual dusty render on failings. It has blown off the face of the blocks. The wall also faces the Derbyshire moors but the render on the house which was done at the same time is on 30's clay common bricks and has had no problems.

This client wants a no quibble guarantee but I have said 2 years if it is down to faulty workmanship. That led to if I know my job it cant fail can it? Well that has got me thinking why the renderers work has failed because the mix looks right and the blocks are right so what could go wrong?

I suggested a sbr slurry with a scratch coat with mesh embedded fully and the mesh pinned back to the wall. Allow the scratch to cure hard and then render top coat with stress patches around the openings. There is of course the usual rend-aid and the like with ocr or the like with mesh.

So any idea's why it should blow of in sheets. I thought at first too hard a mix but it has only failed on the south facing walls. Now I am thinking perhaps the heat? The extension walls will have cavity wall insulation so could the heat cause this?

I am not frightened to do the job but want to get it right. If my work fails I wouldn't have a clue where I went wrong.

Any suggestions?

It's done well to have 70 odd years of use, just render it and if it blows tell him to go **** himself :RpS_thumbup:

It's got to be down to South facing walls somehow. I would maybe power-wash them first then a slurry coat and bang some fibres in the scratch coat. What's the finish rigsby?

haha, no the scratch blew off the block. I'm thinking that after the 1st render was removed, insufficient key was left/made before the new render was applied. Perhaps the last render applied was too hard also.

If you got an iPhone download a blacklist app, do the work then blacklist his number lol...
just joking, same thing I'm thinking about with my "advice on damp" thread, she wants a no quibble guarantee but I'm not a damp expert so don't know exactly what's causing it.

If scratch came off maybe eml the lot if you want that peice of mind. Sbr in scratch works well for me after sbr cement slurry and lime in topcoat

Not a great key on dense concrete if they were very wet when the scratch coat was apllied this would affect the suction.

i would rib lath the wall. some concrete blocks are very smooth with little key. as the wall is facing south therefore it will take the heat from the sun and bake.
i would tell the client to make sure that the decoration does not break down allowing water to penetrate, as this would affect any guarantee that i offer.
if i an going to offer a guarantee i would smack his arse with my quote

its simple mate the render mixes are to strong and have pulled themselves off the wall they probably used a 3 or 4 to 1 mix re do it using a 5 to 1 scratch with a touch of waterproofer in and top off with 6 to 1 mix

I don't believe this, "Its simple mate the render mixes are to strong and have pulled themselves off the wall", does anyone else? I'm only playing Render Systems, as you said they could have over corrected the remedial works. Use a pre bagged product like OCR and blame weber if it fails. Keep it covered if it's a sunny day to aid the cure.

Last edited:
its simple mate the render mixes are to strong and have pulled themselves off the wall they probably used a 3 or 4 to 1 mix re do it using a 5 to 1 scratch with a touch of waterproofer in and top off with 6 to 1 mix[/QUOTE
Quite right mate the the only thing i would disagree with is dont bother with the waterproofer at all on dense concrete blocks it dont need it and if anything can cause late nights rubbing up.

I don't believe this, "Its simple mate the render mixes are to strong and have pulled themselves off the wall", does anyone else? I'm only playing Render Systems, as you said they could have over corrected the remedial works. Use a pre bagged product like OCR and blame weber if it fails. Keep it covered if it's a sunny day to aid the cure.

Blame Weber lol! Well that will get me nowhere. Weber doesn't take the blame for anything!

Thanks for your reply's. The scratch was hard so maybe a combination of to hard a mix, pores of the block filled with the previous render and heat.

I will offer him my first option as per 1st post and a manufacturers option, probably SAS. Sps doesn't do a pre rend.

Thanks for all your reply's.

Rigsby

Scud it first

Blown render not sure how scudding it helps.......:-0

Throw (harl) a slurry coat on and let it dry. Better key. Every job in Ireland is scudded and never seen blown render yet.

Dont use camels

In that case I did a scud job in 1973 on a bank vault ceiling. 1 sand, 1 limestone, 1 cement with sika. The sika burns!

Whats your mix I S?

In that case I did a scud job in 1973 on a bank vault ceiling. 1 sand, 1 limestone, 1 cement with sika. The sika burns!

Whats your mix I S?

Well the limestone would lol.

In Ireland (I've been in uk for last 25 yrs) they would prob use a 3:1 scudding mix over concrete blocks that have had a good drink. The Irish lads will know that fair face blocks (CPI) will require less of a drink and a 2:1 scud.

No w/p in the scud

My dad is an old Skool (lol) Irish_spread2 (how good is that) and even
now when he comes over here gives me amazing advice :RpS_scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.