Blown plaster

Members online

Sez90

Hi

I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY so I was wondering if anyone here would kindly offer some advice. I've just moved in to a victorian terraced house that needs quite a bit of redecorating. Being on a budget I was hoping to just repaper the walls and put down some new laminate. I began with stripping the walls in the dining room, thought the plaster looked in pretty good shape until In comes the father in law, bangs around the walls with a hammer and now I have what you see in the photos. Lots of areas of blown plaster! I've got no idea what is behind the plaster although a quick google says in might be lime mortar? Currently I am on maternity leave and cannot afford to have a plasterer come in to repair it. What is the best way forward? Ideally I need to get this sorted asap as I have a baby and cant live like this for much longer!

Attachments

• IMG-20190929-WA0026.jpeg
    IMG-20190929-WA0026.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,594
  • IMG-20190929-WA0024.jpeg
    IMG-20190929-WA0024.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG-20190929-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20190929-WA0022.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG-20190929-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20190929-WA0020.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
Tried removing some more of the loose plaster and this is the result. Theres still more falling away. Help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-20190930-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20190930-WA0009.jpeg
    925.6 KB · Views: 540
Tip of the iceberg with these properties I’m afraid. If you don’t want any nasty surprises in the other rooms, just paper over the top of the existing or paint the paper. At the very least, don’t use a steamer to strip the paper. Carefully remove any loose plaster, get a bag of easifil from b and q and fill it as best you can. Sand when dry and re-paper.

Chrispy is right Another option is your husband or father in law can remove all the plaster , bare brick looks nice , then wait till you can afford it

Hi

I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY so I was wondering if anyone here would kindly offer some advice. I've just moved in to a victorian terraced house that needs quite a bit of redecorating. Being on a budget I was hoping to just repaper the walls and put down some new laminate. I began with stripping the walls in the dining room, thought the plaster looked in pretty good shape until In comes the father in law, bangs around the walls with a hammer and now I have what you see in the photos. Lots of areas of blown plaster! I've got no idea what is behind the plaster although a quick google says in might be lime mortar? Currently I am on maternity leave and cannot afford to have a plasterer come in to repair it. What is the best way forward? Ideally I need to get this sorted asap as I have a baby and cant live like this for much longer!
your walls are lime plastered having been over skimmed at some point in gypsum if you have been using a steam stripper then you have melted down the pva holding it on use only cold water to strip

I have indeed been using a steam stripper Father in law says he can give it a go replastering it. Dont think I have any other option! Would easifill do the job as suggested by Chrispy?

I have indeed been using a steam stripper Father in law says he can give it a go replastering it. Dont think I have any other option! Would easifill do the job as suggested by Chrispy?

Just noticed that big patch.

Unless you’re hacking off and starting again, then easifil, or a tight coat of bonding will do, anything to level it up. The beauty with easifil, is that you can sand it smooth.