Blown plaster and skimming - advice needed

Alee

Hi

We had a plaster quote for work with us, and when he came to view the work he said he would knock out all the blown plaster, mesh and fill before skimming the rooms.
Yesterday he started the work, and hasn’t knock out any blown plaster even around large wall cracks, only filled them. When we asked him why, he has got extremely angry and is threatening not to do the work. Should we be worried?
(By the way my partner is the nicest man - polite and soft spoken, not offensive in asking questions in the slightest).

Any advice would be welcome.

If the plaster is blown it needs to come off. Otherwise you are adding weight to detached plaster by bonding/skimming over the top. Do you have pictures? I’d also be wary of angry trades. Anyone is free to ask me about the work I’m doing, it’s their house after all.

Hi

We had a plaster quote for work with us, and when he came to view the work he said he would knock out all the blown plaster, mesh and fill before skimming the rooms.
Yesterday he started the work, and hasn’t knock out any blown plaster even around large wall cracks, only filled them. When we asked him why, he has got extremely angry and is threatening not to do the work. Should we be worried?
(By the way my partner is the nicest man - polite and soft spoken, not offensive in asking questions in the slightest).

Any advice would be welcome.

I'd send him a text and tell him politely that he has not begun the work that he himself recommended and you agreed to so you don't want him to proceed. Don't respond to any further texts or calls.

Apologise if he feels that he's wasted his time (could be important later.) And make it plain that you don't want him to come round and discuss it.

If hubby is a sitzpinkle, then just don't be in if he comes round (unless his tools are there)

Do it soonest.

He might know what he’s on about and decided it doesn’t need to come off , tbh I’d flip my lid a bit if customer started questioning my methods

Saying that though post some pictures let’s see what’s going on there

Tap the cracks on the solid wall with your knuckles, if it sound like knocking an internal door it's blown, get another plasterer to give opinion and if instinct says thier good and polite to deal with let them do it.

Thanks for all your advice. Good to know our suspicions were right about the blown plaster.

Worth mentioning we were questioning his technique, just want to know why when he laboured the need to do something during quoting, he wasn’t doing it, had we missed something?

We’ve now parted ways. Thanks again for your help.

If anyone knows a good plaster in cambridge please do get in touch.