Black splashes on new render?

Julesk1

Hi,
We've just had the back of our house rendered with k rend. They finished yesterday, and we noticed after they'd left that there are lots of black marks all over certain parts of the render - specifically near to windows and doors. Can anyone advise what this might be? It wasn't there earlier in the day, but just appeared after they'd finished cleaning up. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_174129.jpg
    IMG_20200716_174129.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 299
There was painting but that was done before they started, and not near to where the marks are. The paint was dry a few days before. They did the top coat on the house wall on one day, and then the yard walls the day after. I'm pretty sure there weren't any black marks on the house on the first day after they'd scratched it back, the render looked great that evening... They were meant to jetwash, but didn't have one so used our hose to clean the windows and doors after they'd finished the whole thing.. There's black marks on our uPVC door frames too, which smudge when you try and clean them off..it looks like the same thing as it's all of similar sizes.
We've been really frustrated with this job from start to finish. The scaff got taken down today, and there's obvious marks where they've dinged the walls with the bars!
We are now in an argument with them as we were meant to pay them the last bit of money.. but we've held back £200 until we are totally happy with the work. I wish we'd held back more now. Hindsight is a good thing! They don't seem interested in coming back to even look at it, just saying that it wasn't anything to do with them and listing the cleaning products they use! There were a multitude of other issues with them - not turning up on time, breaking anything of ours they touched (outdoor socket, tap, outdoor light, hose), not hiring a skip or tools which was part of the quote, we even knocked some of the previous render of ourselves while we were waiting for them to turn up as we weren't convinced they would bother doing it...
We went to see previous work of theirs and it all looked great... We've since discovered they used to trade under a different company name and have a multitude of horrific reviews - I felt sick to the stomach when I found this out but it was too late by then. We just hoped they'd finish the job...and feel like even though we have some issues unresolved that we may have got off lightly compared to some other peoples experiences.

Hi,
We've just had the back of our house rendered with k rend. They finished yesterday, and we noticed after they'd left that there are lots of black marks all over certain parts of the render - specifically near to windows and doors. Can anyone advise what this might be? It wasn't there earlier in the day, but just appeared after they'd finished cleaning up. Many thanks.
Dirty f**k*r sneezed all over it, that’s covid droplets! :frenetico:

A couple more pics of the wall..

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_221545.jpg
    IMG_20200717_221545.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20200717_221423.jpg
    IMG_20200717_221423.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
This is like a detective game of who dunnit
Was scaffold involved?
First pic looks like something landed - splattered rather - on top of the finished surface as it appears there is a dot or two on the UPVC window..
Look like some one cleaned a spinning oily machine above it and if flicked out when running...
But then the second set of pics look like a contaminant in the product mix? If that is the case would run right through the thickness of the coating.
Think you need bags of patience, a bradawl, carefully dig each dot out like a little crater and fill with same product

The picture in the initial post is the upstairs window, and the other two are the bottom part of the wall next to the kitchen window. There's some other bits with black on but less pronounced on the other walls. We think it's something oily as it won't come off with soap and water, and smears all over the door frame when you try and wipe it off.
The other thing I didn't mention - there's a patch that looks unsightly where the guy stuck his knee in it accidentally when he had a mishap with the ladder.. he didn't tell us this, we pointed out the patch to him. He said he thought he'd corrected it, and then knocked some money off the bill. I asked if they could go over it to make the surface better but they said they couldn't? Is this right? Or would they have to do a new top coat over the whole wall?

The picture in the initial post is the upstairs window, and the other two are the bottom part of the wall next to the kitchen window. There's some other bits with black on but less pronounced on the other walls. We think it's something oily as it won't come off with soap and water, and smears all over the door frame when you try and wipe it off.
The other thing I didn't mention - there's a patch that looks unsightly where the guy stuck his knee in it accidentally when he had a mishap with the ladder.. he didn't tell us this, we pointed out the patch to him. He said he thought he'd corrected it, and then knocked some money off the bill. I asked if they could go over it to make the surface better but they said they couldn't? Is this right? Or would they have to do a new top coat over the whole wall?
Depends on the size of the patch required, anything bigger than your fingernail will stick out quite a bit. You can get paint matched to the colour you chose for touching in but it will be visible at the distance you've taken these pictures from.
If I were you I'd get in touch with whoever did it and as they resolve your issues as they are responsible. Could we perhaps see the wall from ground level at least 2 metres away? If none of the issues can be seen then provided you can live with knowing they are there I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I think it’s oil from the impact driver the scaffolder used when dismantling or oil from the fittings.
Might be wrong but that seems the likely cause, in which case it’s not the liability of the renderers.
The marks were there before the scaffold got taken down.

We painted them ourselves. They put the scaff up and then didn't come back for about a week, so we got other jobs done ourselves while we were waiting for them to show up.

The black marks werent there when they put the top coat on and scratched it on the first night... The second night after they'd finished the rest of the walls and cleaned everything up the black marks were there.. it's nothing we've done as we haven't been near the render since they started! They were shocking when it came to any sort of precision or finishing touches which is why I'm suspecting it was when they were cleaning up. They were rushing as the job had already overran. They've blocked our drains with the render mix, and didnt even finish the extension wall off properly where it meets the roof. These are all alarm bells for me with their so called professionalism.

The black marks werent there when they put the top coat on and scratched it on the first night... The second night after they'd finished the rest of the walls and cleaned everything up the black marks were there.. it's nothing we've done as we haven't been near the render since they started! They were shocking when it came to any sort of precision or finishing touches which is why I'm suspecting it was when they were cleaning up. They were rushing as the job had already overran. They've blocked our drains with the render mix, and didnt even finish the extension wall off properly where it meets the roof. These are all alarm bells for me with their so called professionalism.
Lets be nosy and see the whole job, @Rigsby is there any thing that would clean this off?

I thinks its been done when they washed it down. Stergene hand wool wash detergent and a soft brush. Pre wet first, apply and soft brushing but do not let it dry, rinse off with clean water.

I thinks its been done when they washed it down. Stergene hand wool wash detergent and a soft brush. Pre wet first, apply and soft brushing but do not let it dry, rinse off with clean water.
Thanks for the suggestion Rigsby.. I'll try this tomorrow or Monday, when I get out and get some of the detergent.