Bit of advice re: sand/cement render in poor state

Members online

R

Rob22888

Hi,

Bought a house about 4 months ago, it' an 1860 stone terrace & the bottom half of the back wall is rendered with sand/cement. Only recently have I learnt that this isn't a great thing (the exposed stonework above it is caked in cement pointing too :(), it's got hairline cracks in places and also some hollow patches.... basically it's knackered. Last owners did a great job of drawing attention away from it with various garden decorations & furniture.

Few questions...

1) I can't afford to have a proper job done on it (a re-render) till next year, so does anybody have any advice for how to temporarily patch up the cracks & fill in a small chunk that has come off when I was messing about tapping the hollow parts?

2) When it comes down to it, what materials do I need to be specifying for the re-render. I have had guys round to quote & they all seem to want to flog me coloured K-Rend, but all the research on the internet I have done is saying to use a lime render on period stone. Is this gospel or are modern materials like K-Rend a viable alternative?

3) If I rendered all the way up the house, would the cement pointing on the stone need to be raked out first because i'm worried the tools required would damage the stone.

Thanks

The best thing you can do is start taking any cement off till the next year. You may do some damage to the stone, but is better than keeping it on. Depends on the state of the stones, you should chose between lime putty and hydraulic lime. Nothing else!

The best thing you can do is start taking any cement off till the next year. You may do some damage to the stone, but is better than keeping it on. Depends on the state of the stones, you should chose between lime putty and hydraulic lime. Nothing else!

@Bauwer