Biggest ceiling skimmed on your own no speedskim just trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
470m2 filled the jute scrim out knocked up a little bucket of stuff up an one coat magic coat surprised myself really I only used half a bag of stuff! Oh forgot to mention I started it at 9:30am and was back in the van for 10:15am and I charged the customer £18'0000 cash best bit of graft I'd ever done[emoji106][emoji482], I wonder if anyone else has done more for less lol

With a Marshalltown about the same.
And that approach to a 80m2 ceiling Without a speedskim would be).
1 and a bit bags stiffish caulk out all tapered edge joints then gauge a 3 bag bucket whichll first coat 50+m2 .
knock another 3 up slightly wetter flatten with a Marshalltown the first 50m2 now scratch the other 30m2 on flatten with a marshalltown .
whats left out of the 2nd bucket will almost lay the first 50m2 in knock 1 bag up flatten with a marshalltown what was just 2nd coated now lay the rest in which will be hanging fairly wash out then trowel the lot with a Marshalltown.
This is obviously for a ceiling thats a sensible height and shape with straightforward access if any of these things get more difficult, either A the number of mtrs going on will come down or B the number of trowels needed will go up.

Ive owned a speedskim for 2 1/2 years.
Ive been a greedy c**t for the last 20.

1 and a bit bags stiffish caulk out all tapered edge joints then gauge a 3 bag bucket whichll first coat 50+m2 .
knock another 3 up slightly wetter flatten with a Marshalltown the first 50m2 now scratch the other 30m2 on flatten with a marshalltown .
whats left out of the 2nd bucket will almost lay the first 50m2 in knock 1 bag up flatten with a marshalltown what was just 2nd coated now lay the rest in which will be hanging fairly wash out then trowel the lot with a Marshalltown.
This is obviously for a ceiling thats a sensible height and shape with straightforward access if any of these things get more difficult, either A the number of mtrs going on will come down or B the number of trowels needed will go up.

Parklife

so just to re-cap scottie...youd be happy to put 80m lid on with just a trowel?

is that based on the lid being scaffold out so you can walk it?

or stilts/hop up etc?

If I turned up on site on my own in the morning and found someone had taken all my gear apart from a 18" xtralite mt a hawk and buckets/whisk/scoop.
And left me a 80m2 plasterboarded ceiling at normal room height and a relatively straightforward shape ie square/rectangle.
That on everything I hold dear in this world swear that I would be putting that ceiling on in one on my own.
It wouldn't have a joint in it and I wouldn't be subbing it out to bigger boys.
To recap me myself and I would be all Id need.
Also Id like to say that I've a second year apprentice who could manage a 30-40m2 ceiling on his own without too much drama.

To be honest for me anyhow using speedskim,spats and the like made the job no faster for me,i stick mainly to a carbon and a s*p*r*lex now and even on large areas I still stick to these two trowels.i still use speedskims they come in handy between door linings and flattening skim when it's thick along with a few other situations they come in handy for me.

If I turned up on site on my own in the morning and found someone had taken all my gear apart from a 18" xtralite mt a hawk and buckets/whisk/scoop.
And left me a 80m2 plasterboarded ceiling at normal room height and a relatively straightforward shape ie square/rectangle.
That on everything I hold dear in this world swear that I would be putting that ceiling on in one on my own.
Also Id like to say that I've a second year apprentice who could manage a 30-40m2 ceiling on his own without too much drama.

fair play to you...

id be prepared to have a long day rolling little gauges if i had to so long as I could walk it out scaffed out....but I wouldn't even get my tools out if I was having to do it off a hop-up...

I would of done exactly the same as Scottie but would of plasterboarded the ceiling first in the morning and skimmed 80.5m2 in afternoon.
Lol

Self praise is no recommendation as they say

Status
Not open for further replies.