Big Hello!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedichi

Alright fellas, my name is Chris and i'm looking to start up a plastering business (V Slowly). I've no experience yet but am sick of my job and plastering is something i've always fancied(as well as the supposed good money). I'm doing the training course shortly(next few weeks) and then just practicing at home and for family and friends until i'm happy with what i'm doing. Had a lot of advice from friend but he was a plasterer a while ago, so could do with some current advice. Do you think this is the best way to start? if not how would you do it? what would you say are the biggest things to watch out for? any advice gratefully received...... cheers guys!!!! :cool:

hello chris,

welcome,

Money is always good with plastering, never met a poor plasterer yet. Which training course are you going on? GoldTrowel? Practicing does make perfect.... I was / am luck where as I worked for a firm but now I am on my own other than when it gets quiet.....christmas time.

You are lucky that your friend was a plasterer he maybe able to help you out of a situation on a customers house, maybe even come on the job with you.....

As far as best way to start, yes I think you are going the right way, ideally an apprenticship would be best but they are few and far between these days.

When I first started I boarded up my garage and practiced skimming and this was a major help learnt a lot.

Your course will teach you the basic principles and then you wl have to apply them and ust listen to what they have to say..... I made the mistake of not listening on my first course.... spent every night on the piss....lol

Keep us up to date onyour progress.

Danny

Thanks for that Danny, makes me feel a bit more confident that i'am going in the right direction. I'm a little worried about not being able to find work after i quit my job, I'm not entirely sure how much work there is for plasterers in my area.(Staffordshire) and although i know that i need to advertise and work hard drumming up jobs which i'am more than happy to do, its still a big step. I'm on a course local to me that another friend has used but its not gold trowel. i haven't heard of them are they better or more nationally recognized, as this will come in handy as most jobs i'm told are done on reputation. What would you say is the hardest part to perfect? as i've got outhouses that i can practice in and would like to do an awesome job so i can enhance the reputation but obviously this will take practice. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Hello,

I wouldnt quite your job just yet, build work up at weekends first, you will have too much pressure on yourself. STart by advertising locally ect and then as more work come in take it from there.

Hard to say whats best, I like gold Trowel, I have done another course which was bad learnt next to nothing.

Hardest part to perfect is speed and cleanliness everything else comes with time... you will get it in the end you just need to be patient and stick with it.

HOpe this helps

Danny

Hello chaps,  

Just read through the posts, I think Danny has hit the nail on the head with his advice.  Personally I think the hardest part to master is timing... when to trowel out, when to skim with the second coat of plaster, when to flatten it all down, when wet and dry trowel etc.  Obviously it all depends on the temperature in the room and how fast you can go, so it all looks perfect!

But it all comes with experience and plenty of practise!

Hope all goes to plan, but don't quit your job just yet you'll put too much pressure on yourself (thats the last thing you'll want).  

Craig

the best way i feel is to start off as a plasterers labourer, on-sight. learn about how hard it is to mix the plaster and learn all about the materials first ie quantity needed consistency of mixes and learn about all the correct termanology like the 2 skim coat thing which is actualy known as the 1st coat is a laying on coat and the 2nd coat is a laying down coat. this correct knowledge and termanology goes a long way to impressing customers..i started off like this in the 80;s with a plasterer from the old school.. boy was he a git!!! but boy did i learn from him!! one of the biggest mistakes people make with plastering is in-correct timing and then they use too much water to try and bring the plaster back!!! and this causes untold problems like bubbles etc!! or they leave plaster to go too dry and then try to trowel it this gives you skiddy trowel marks!! my advice is get out there and labour for a top plasterer then get on the tools....

lol I know I started with a couple of spreads.

one was an amazing spread everything he did was perfect and the other lets just say he talked a good job.

I would always suggest working with a spread first but as I found it was hard to find one that needed a labourer.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.