Best way to tackle big celling yourself

Ditto & every other numpty from my circle of mates!!!
Funny thing is I learnt hard way but stuck at it it's only trade where yes dirty messy noisy and can still earn decent money best trade on site imo and I think that's what has given me my warped sense of humour being around other plasterers and years of breathing in gypsum lol

Up to 40 just mix the lot up and put half on, flatten and then the other half, back round for second flatten on first half and then on to first flatten on second half....second coat more time just bang it on but make sure no bubbles in it that cause those blebs if left to long and finish as normal

Always tackled the big ceilings one bag at a time mix a bag put it on and so on and so on that way it's not all going off at once we have done some massive ceilings that way and never had a problem

Always tackled the big ceilings one bag at a time mix a bag put it on and so on and so on that way it's not all going off at once we have done some massive ceilings that way and never had a problem
What he said

Yeah that old chestnut.
Dont you just hate it when someone tells you how long your jobs goin to take?
:mad:
Oh I love it especially when they say they have done a bit of plastering or the father in law was a plasterer fills me with joy and also love it when they end it bet your good at making cakes

I use ikea plastic box step thing. Got 10+ of them and plank room out on them. Big ceilings you put fibre tape across and pull out just at polishing stage to crate an edge. Setup and do other side of ceiling. When dry sand join with arbanet mesh on Vac... I also have a pair of party shoes like Elvis wore. Adds about 3 inches to my hight so I can run up and down to finish ceilings for speed. I want a pair of platform shoes that will give me 4-5 inches but they ain't cheap. Basically you just go with big ceilings on a well sealed surface.

I love looking at plasterers working I've heard a few times."it's therapeutic" and you're there like a maniac trying to keep up with it eating cigarettes and the sweat pumping out of you.

I love looking at plasterers working I've heard a few times."it's therapeutic" and you're there like a maniac trying to keep up with it eating cigarettes and the sweat pumping out of you.
That's an art that is hahaha

" I'll bet that makes your neck sore".......
" Will you be doing that all day?".......

Then when you are absolutely cream crackered and packing up for the day.....
" oh, are you leaving all ready?"....
Pfffft.

Oh,...oh,....when you've busted a gut to get it all on....and you get out the speedy on a pole and they come in and and say...
" oh that's cheating that is"....

On smaller areas I do all the edges then drop through the middle... Bigger areas I use the typewriter method and bigger areas a rolling gauge and any bigger I ub it out and make the cream :D

On smaller areas I do all the edges then drop through the middle... Bigger areas I use the typewriter method and bigger areas a rolling gauge and any bigger I ub it out and make the cream :D
What is this type writer method ?

Extratime is the way forward for this... but still a good idea to know the best ways and more importantly the most efficient ways before taking short cuts :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Another good idea is to open up the tops of the bags the night before if possible and leave them standing in the room :birra:

Tbh I never heard of it till earlier this year from an old school spread who knows his s**t, can't remember what he said was released but some chemical comes out of it and gives you slightly longer on a gauge
Did he also sell you some magic beans ;)

Yep that s me , was trained as mechanic moved to ni had tools robbed by the tinkers lost me job was plasterboarding labouring for a spred a few days later,22 years am still doing it,school didn't want me there in a nut shell!

Tbh I never heard of it till earlier this year from an old school spread who knows his s**t, can't remember what he said was released but some chemical comes out of it and gives you slightly longer on a gauge

OK, cheers mate.

we had a 50 gallon barrel cut down to half way then pour the sirapite plaster into the bin the night before we wanted to use the plaster. it did slow the setting time down. neat sirapite would set in about 10 mins, ideal for the angles, drop the rules and add lime and board finish to the sirapite and you could lay the whole room on.
with multi we just lay on thicker to slow the setting time. we do usually set very tight.