Best way to tackle big celling yourself

Members online

harryj490

what the way you guys do it around the edges and fill in the middle? I know that can't be done all the time so how do you do it?.. flatten as you go? Tips be nice thanks all ..

what the way you guys do it around the edges and fill in the middle? I know that can't be done all the time so how do you do it?.. flatten as you go? Tips be nice thanks all ..

Confusing watching some guys do ceilings, I just start in a corner and work along and backwards if that makes sense, got my refina spat on a pole which is useful aswell, I never mastered stilts but that must be handy if you are confident enough

Domestic ceiling can be done your way edges then fill middle if you prefer.

Big ceilings that aren't narrow I work across and back into what's just been put on so that your always working into wet plaster etc.

Some refer to it as type writer style if that helps as below

Xxxxxxxxx
Yyyyyyyyy
Xxxxxxxxx
Yyyyyyyyy
Xxxxxxxxx

Instead of your way below

Yyyyyyyyy
Yxxxxxxxy
Yxxxxxxxy
Yyyyyyyyy

Domestic ceiling can be done your way edges then fill middle if you prefer.

Big ceilings that aren't narrow I work across and back into what's just been put on so that your always working into wet plaster etc.

Some refer to it as type writer style if that helps as below

Xxxxxxxxx
Yyyyyyyyy
Xxxxxxxxx
Yyyyyyyyy
Xxxxxxxxx

Instead of your way below

Yyyyyyyyy
Yxxxxxxxy
Yxxxxxxxy
Yyyyyyyyy
So you coat on xxxxx and then in effect turn into the other direction and coat on yyyyyy working back into your plaster? Lol it gets complicated

[emoji652]️[emoji652]️[emoji652]️[emoji652]️
[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️
[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️
[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️....and so on .:D

I've seen a bloke do the middle first then come out from edge looked a stupid way to do it and found it strange but each to their own

I've always done same way round the edge do the middle so seeing that I couldn't get my head round it

I've always done same way round the edge do the middle so seeing that I couldn't get my head round it

Can't do that on massive ceilings though Pagey!

60, 70, 80+ m2 etc

Big massive areas need to be worked in areas so that they can be flattened in properly and use rolling gauges etc

Don't overcomplicate it, just slap it on, it's all in the mind

Couldn't be further from the truth big areas need to be worked properly!

Can just slap Mrs Jones living room ceiling not the same on big commercial work areas etc

I remember Richard brown.....remember him?....drew a diagram and posted it on here how to tackle a large ceiling in a rolling gauge. Was a useful guide, good luck finding it in the archives

Couldn't be further from the truth big areas need to be worked properly!

Can just slap Mrs Jones living room ceiling not the same on big commercial work areas etc
I disagree zombie, if you prepared and don't f**k about its easily doable, people just get scared from bigger areas cos such jobs may rarely come up.
Overthinking a job is what breaks people minds then all goes tits up

I disagree zombie, if you prepared and don't f**k about its easily doable, people just get scared from bigger areas cos such jobs may rarely come up.

I disagree back lol...

Nothing being over thinking about having logical way to approach areas of work.

That's half the battle you can't just rock up and start putting random areas on a really big ceiling on your own etc and not expect to struggle or your work look A1!

You need to work areas and mixes accordingly IMO

If your doing 10bag rolling gauges need to be working into your previously laid in wet areas etc!

Can't do that on massive ceilings though Pagey!

60, 70, 80+ m2 etc

Big massive areas need to be worked in areas so that they can be flattened in properly and use rolling gauges etc
On big ceilings I get someone with me we get it on to a point then one drops back flattening off then mix up ready to second coat

I've seen one plasterer in my lifetime tackle a massive ceiling on his own knocks up in a black bin say 5/6 bags bit wet for me I be honest on stilts bin on a skate and goes for it and it's good every time wonder if @Gibbo knows black pete the bloke is an animal though amount he puts on

Do people just decide to be a plasterer or do they still do apprenticeships and learn how to be one. Danny can we have a dumb question section please . FFS.:mad:

I disagree back lol...

Nothing being over thinking about having logical way to approach areas of work.

That's half the battle you can't just rock up and start putting random areas on a really big ceiling on your own etc and not expect to struggle or your work look A1!

You need to work areas and mixes accordingly IMO

If your doing 10bag rolling gauges need to be working into your previously laid in wet areas etc!
I never said to start putting on random areas, but that's when it comes in that people just over thinking it.
Sod ten bags, that's for proper spreads I'm only a part timer.
I do 50ish on my own, that's all about it, anything bigger I'm out.
I ran out of ammo now to wind you up lol

I've seen one plasterer in my lifetime tackle a massive ceiling on his own knocks up in a black bin say 5/6 bags bit wet for me I be honest on stilts bin on a skate and goes for it and it's good every time wonder if @Gibbo knows black pete the bloke is an animal though amount he puts on
Yes, that's my average working day what you just described lol

Do people just decide to be a plasterer or do they still do apprenticeships and learn how to be one. Danny can we have a dumb question section please . FFS.:mad:

It's a doddle.

When you start, use an orbital sander to sort out the cat's faces and just pick it up as you go along from there.

Biggest I've done on my own was apx 60m2

About 5yrs ago when my mate was badly I split it into 3 rolling gauges at 20m2 each 3 different areas at different stages but all in 1 go working into wet plaster!.

If I honest I probably wouldn't want to do it now but if needs must I probably would!

I wouldn't like to think I had to empty 6 bags in 1 go before it all firms up!

And to the bloke who said do people pick to be plasterers or not no one picks plastering it picks them mainly cos school didn't like them and they didn't like school family in trade so went to work with them or someone you knew knew a plasterer who needed a labourer and that was it

Biggest I've done on my own was apx 60m2

About 5yrs ago when my mate was badly I split it into 3 rolling gauges at 20m2 each 3 different areas at different stages but all in 1 go working into wet plaster!.

If I honest I probably wouldn't want to do it now but if needs must I probably would!

I wouldn't like to think I had to empty 6 bags in 1 go before it all firms up!
Sometimes it's all about not worrying about it and cracking on the biggest worry is thinking f me that's a lump of an area

And to the bloke who said do people pick to be plasterers or not no one picks plastering it picks them mainly cos school didn't like them and they didn't like school family in trade so went to work with them or someone you knew knew a plasterer who needed a labourer and that was it

Ahmen to that fela!

Probably the most accurate description of 90% in trade pal!!!