Not open for further replies.

Badgerrrrrrr

1 scrape worst of lumpy artex of
2 apply green grit to stabilise etc
3 put your first coat of multi on
4 Then watch the fecker react, bubble and fall off lol

The day I should've stay in bed lol.

image.jpeg

An there's not even coving up to make the job more expensive...tut tut........

We have all done it though....

No plug for unifinish plasterman ? Lol ......
It would of gone with that as well the board brigade are right we all know but still carry on skimming over the stuff.
Lol it's worst when it's just about finished then pops off and worst still if it's when the brand new kitchen or bathroom has just been fitted...gutted

I must have spent 2 years straight skimming over artex and it only happened a few times.. rough with the smooth :D

1 scrape worst of lumpy artex of
2 apply green grit to stabilise etc
3 put your first coat of multi on
4 Then watch the fecker react, bubble and fall off lol

The day I should've stay in bed lol.

View attachment 9643

we never reskim any fan patterns of artex. we have seen the plaster shrink back so that you can seen the fan pattern in the odd place.

we never reskim any fan patterns of artex. we have seen the plaster shrink back so that you can seen the fan pattern in the odd place.
This is another reason why you should always overboard. I used to skim over ceilings years ago and it only happened a few times but once it's happened you're always worrying it might happen again. Not worth the hassle, if they won't pay for the overboard then back heel it because if it does peel off they would probably blame you anyway

We have done hundreds of artex jobs, fans included and never had any pattern coming through, It can look like it when drying but running your hand over it will show it to be completely flat.

Can only imagine it being on too thin if the pattern is coming through to the touch.

We have done hundreds of artex jobs, fans included and never had any pattern coming through, It can look like it when drying but running your hand over it will show it to be completely flat.

Can only imagine it being on too thin if the pattern is coming through to the touch.

You can run your hand over it and it's smooth but you can still see the pattern sometimes

Why is it it pops of like it does. In saying that thou, I've been with other plasterers who have pvad over the artex, bonded it then skimed and its been fine.

Why is it it pops of like it does. In saying that thou, I've been with other plasterers who have pvad over the artex, bonded it then skimed and its been fine.
The moisture in the skim softens it..then it can peel away and bubble......somebody told me that, cause its never happend to me...:whistle:

i was talking about after decoration.

There is some s**t PVA about to be fair also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like to touch the pva before i skim to make sure it feels tacky. that is why we only use our favorite brands, some are useless.

The artex actually went completely soft after that happened. We were able to scrape it right back to the board pretty easily

if the artex was soft i would guess that it had never been decorated, as when it is painted it sets hard. then it would have scraped off easy before you pvad.

Same thing happened just before Christmas to me! So annoying!! But didn't lose out as I always recommend an overboard in the quote and if they decide to ignore my advice and take the skimming option then I have written in the quote that I will still require payment if it does fail as they've gone against my advice.

Over 50% of my work is skimming over artex. Insisting on Overboarding would lose me too much work, plus coving stops it. Yes, like the rest I get the bubble now and again and have to scrape midway thru a set and hope I can get back on top of it again. Never two coat a fan, always three coat. Did one recently and the guy's asked me back because one he had done by another plasterer still showed through, even after paint.

The secret to not showing of the pattern is leave your second coat/laying in coat much later than you would on just boards.

It happens to us all. Pva and bonded an artex ceiling before skimming it. Got a call next day to say it all fell off over night ha ha. Pva and 3 coats of skim and no problems. Havent bonded artex since. Always pva and 3 coats of skim. Never fails.

I always PVA at least the day before so it gives the PVA a chance to dry properly and seal the artex, then another one before plastering. I've found in the past that if you PVA same day as plastering. You don't allow the artex to be sealed properly allowing for all the moisture in the plaster to penetrate the artex and re emulsify. Haven't had any problems since doing this.

It happens to us all. Pva and bonded an artex ceiling before skimming it. Got a call next day to say it all fell off over night ha ha. Pva and 3 coats of skim and no problems. Havent bonded artex since. Always pva and 3 coats of skim. Never fails.
Of course it does. If a ceilings going to peel, itll peel. If anything adding a third coat of anything increases the risk. You've just been lucky thats all.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.