Best prep for wallpapering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Initally I was going to have my walls plasterboarded and skimmed.

Having done more research I wondered whether there was a quicker/better/cheaper way.

I want to wall paper over the new plasterboard.

I have looked into dry lining (boards with tapered edges). I understand that if I use something like this Gyproc Drywall Sealer

I can just wallpaper on top straight away after applying the product. In future I can strip and re-paper.

The main downsides over skimming appear to be 1) the joints might be noticeable 2) skimmed will stand up better to future redecoration.

Is lining the wall a way of getting around visible joins?

The walls would be attached dot and dab rather than with screws.

Other downside is that prep time can be long - covering screws and joins - but as mentioend in this case screws won't be used.

A work colleague just lined over his plasterboard ceilings and painted it - said it looks fine.

Thoughts?

You need to at least tape the joints and leave them smooth,fill all screw holes and sand smooth, then seal and paper away, lining paper will help, but won't hide joints, quality is subjective,

You need to leave the forum.................................:RpS_cursing: wallpaper ffs.........................:rolleyes)

hmm, it would be useful to find some pics of wallpaper with joins showing - not something i have ever seen.

you can get plasterers for peanuts ,shop around £100 max , and if its poo your not going to see it anyway everyones a winner

QUOTE=mo7;778294]hmm, it would be useful to find some pics of wallpaper with joins showing - not something i have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

seen it loads of times.:rolleyes)

that is quite balatant - is it down to the joint not being proeprly filled in and sanded or has it deteriorated over time because of somethign else? i.e mvoement in the board?

that wallpaper is ugly by the way. nice coloured wallpaper is better than paint IMO.

that is quite balatant - is it down to the joint not being proeprly filled in and sanded or has it deteriorated over time because of somethign else? i.e mvoement in the board?

that wallpaper is ugly by the way. nice coloured wallpaper is better than paint IMO.
Thats my house ya cheeky bastaad:RpS_angry:

U just said paint wasnt warm ? And paper was ? Now white isnt warm ? And like just mentioned , if the boards arnt skimmed , when u want to strip the paper u will most likely bring the paper off the boards so and maybe worse ....

Nowt about warmth its about money , if it was warmth you could you insulated boards and skim and that would make it warmer ........

QUOTE=mo7;778294]hmm, it would be useful to find some pics of wallpaper with joins showing - not something i have ever seen.

seen it loads of times.:rolleyes)[/QUOTE]

Thats my house ya cheeky bastaad:RpS_angry:

LMFAO.........................:RpS_laugh:

Wait till he see's bubbles carpets..........................:RpS_lol:

when i say warm i dont mean temperature - i mean that i find a wallpapered room (for bedrooms) to feel nicer than painted ones.

we have a mixtured of papered and painted walls but all bedrooms are papered.

painted rooms are fine but they just feel a big 'cold' (obviously) - difficult to describe i spose if you dont know what i mean.

when i say warm i dont mean temperature - i mean that i find a wallpapered room (for bedrooms) to feel nicer than painted ones.

we have a mixtured of papered and painted walls but all bedrooms are papered.

painted rooms are fine but they just feel a big 'cold' (obviously) - difficult to describe i spose if you dont know what i mean.
i know what you mean :RpS_unsure:

So what about the warm fuzzy feeling i get when ive skimmed a room and i stand back to admire and i feel all tingly............Or maybe im confusing that reaction to when ive been piad............................:RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.