Best book to freshen me up?

Connor

It's been a good few years since I've been at it and there are gaps in my knowledge.

What is the best book as a go to for catching up on things I've forgot? I've seen the level 1 & 2 city and guild books but was unsure if the level 2 missed out things from the level 1?

Any advice is appreciated!

It's been a good few years since I've been at it and there are gaps in my knowledge.

What is the best book as a go to for catching up on things I've forgot? I've seen the level 1 & 2 city and guild books but was unsure if the level 2 missed out things from the level 1?

Not better getting a job and being honest with the boss?

To be fair I did my level 1&2 but wasted my time in university. Here I am 2 years after than sat in an office and wanting to properly give it a crack as a living...

Just bought our first house so thought it would be a good chance to practice again before applying anywhere.

@Connor book isn’t going to help. Can you get on with a spread maybe labour for free on weekends just to loosen the wrist back up?

@Connor book isn’t going to help. Can you get on with a spread maybe labour for free on weekends just to loosen the wrist back up?
Potentially, it's a good shout but I think I have the knowledge there and I need to use lime on an internal wall that came up on the damp report (nothing damp about it but just to be safe.)
It sounds daft but I have an inkling i've forgotten some of the prep work before skimming :muyenojado:
Just thought a book might get me going again. Will look at some firms in Cheshire

Maybe you’re right , at the very least it won’t do any harm. Potential waste of time though as you can ask questions here
Not gonna lie I used to pop on here when I was younger super eager and I can't get my head around some of the shite people say. I used to labour for a bloke in Liverpool and definitely did my graft but being called once a month wasn't worth it sadly.

Ill order both from Amazon and just return whatever's worse.

Not gonna lie I used to pop on here when I was younger super eager and I can't get my head around some of the shite people say. I used to labour for a bloke in Liverpool and definitely did my graft but being called once a month wasn't worth it sadly.

Ill order both from Amazon and just return whatever's worse.

It’s bonkers on here and 90% banter and bullshit but if you have a genuine question you will get helped.

I laboured for free early on but only because i knew of the spread and he was the b*ll***s.

Imagine him rolling skim on instead of pva
7D67BDAE-7A65-494B-ADC4-A9037D7E6CB5.gif

I've got the nvq l2 from fleabay, it's not all that good - mostly health and safety - not much in the way of technique (I've been trying to find a decent resource book too)

2yrs off and you forgot how to prep? Ffs give me strength!
Will admit I worded that piss poorly. It was 2013 the last time I was at college and 2014/15 since I did some skimming

I know how to prep, meant more of what I put up before plastering if that makes sense? I know of using dot & dab for plaster boards, putting plasterboard up against wooden studs, Browning/Bonding layer before skimming. I've forgotten bits of terminology and it leaves me looking more of a mong than before :rayos:

Main thing is I think I've gotten what I was after online. Going to do a 2/3 coat internally with Hydraulic lime as the rooms came up with moisture (no evident leaks etc, plus I just miss working with Lime.) Forgot basic stuff like doing a scratch coat first and wanted to be extra safe otherwise the other half will murder me

Will admit I worded that piss poorly. It was 2013 the last time I was at college and 2014/15 since I did some skimming

I know how to prep, meant more of what I put up before plastering if that makes sense? I know of using dot & dab for plaster boards, putting plasterboard up against wooden studs, Browning/Bonding layer before skimming. I've forgotten bits of terminology and it leaves me looking more of a mong than before :rayos:

Main thing is I think I've gotten what I was after online. Going to do a 2/3 coat internally with Hydraulic lime as the rooms came up with moisture (no evident leaks etc, plus I just miss working with Lime.) Forgot basic stuff like doing a scratch coat first and wanted to be extra safe otherwise the other half will murder me
1542648628576.png

Whats up? Is it because I don't fancy skimming it :baaa:
It's partly because the birds wanting a go and it'll be more forgiving if she drops a dollop.

Last edited:

think your jumping in at the deep end starting with lime .iwouldnt advise it